Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Super Moderator
19,540 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was sooooo close to getting out of there just spending .49 on a package of bias tape. But my husband, the master enabler, pointed out a beautiful etched glass vase with swans decorating it. I kept saying no, he kept saying how pretty it was. It wasn't my fault! I swear!

I flicked it with a fingernail and my denials were all over when it rang like a bell. Who could turn down a beautiful crystal vase?

So I have myself a new, fancy shmancy, swan-covered, very tall water glass for summer. I'm sure I'll get my $2 worth out of it. Now I have to find a really long straw.

·
Founder
19,054 Posts
I would have bought it too. :D
Enjoy your vase!

·
Registered
5,605 Posts
I'm confused.

Are you going to drink out of it or put flowers in it?

·
Founder
19,054 Posts
I agree with the enabler........sounds pretty.

Great buy............good luck with your long straw!
LOL

I always check out the glass aisle at the thrift store. :D I have a hard time resisting some of the older cobalt, amber and green collectible glass items. A lot of people discard Fostoria and Fenton.

Not glassware, but speaking of drinking glasses I am looking for a set of aluminum tumblers with aluminum swizzle sticks/ice tea spoons (50's style). They aren't badly priced on eBay, but I want to find them cheaper. Good memories. :)

·
Super Moderator
19,540 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Imagine, I'll be using it as a drinking glass, but it's a vase. Vases make pretty drinking glasses when filled with water, ice, and lemon slices, and that encourages me to drink more water, always a good thing. This one will hold about a half gallon.

I wish I could think of some kind of glass tube to use for a straw. It needs to be about eleven inches long. I did find a plastic one in my pantry though.

·
Registered
5,605 Posts
Imagine, I'll be using it as a drinking glass, but it's a vase. Vases make pretty drinking glasses when filled with water, ice, and lemon slices, and that encourages me to drink more water, always a good thing. This one will hold about a half gallon.

I wish I could think of some kind of glass tube to use for a straw. It needs to be about eleven inches long. I did find a plastic one in my pantry though.
I see now. Thanks

Most of the glass straws I found on the net were 8 to 9 inches but I did find a website that makes custom orders including up to 12 inches inches looks like you can pick a color or clear too.
Custom Drinking Straws

There are probably others on the net too.

·
Super Moderator
19,540 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Beautiful! Thanks for the link. I'll keep it in mind, but $7 each, well, we'll see. OTOH, I love cobalt glass which would be really pretty in a clear drinking glass, and I really like not having to use plastic, so I might decide to splurge sometime.

·
Registered
4,525 Posts
You could always use the tubing used in aquariums. Could be as long as you want.

As a person who also enjoys mass amounts of liquid at one time great idea.

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
enjoy your new fancy crystal drinking glass, good luck with the straw!

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
Hey, I had those aluminum glasses!! In the 1970's they were popular. I had the pitcher, too. I remember blue, green, gold & red colors. Yeah, something else I pitched, should've kept...........
Your vase & I say vase with the long a, sounds like a 2$ well spent!

·
Super Moderator
19,540 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks! I washed it up and it's really pretty now.

We had those aluminum glasses when I was a kid in the sixties, and the pitcher. We never used them. They were too cold to be comfortable when we held them. We used the pitcher a lot though, for Kool-Aid. My mom gave me the set when I had my own kids, and they got more use. Unfortunately the glasses got jammed together and we couldn't get them apart no matter what we tried, so we ended up pitching them.

I have a pitcher and set of four glasses made of original carnival glass that were my grandma's. I like those better.

I was looking at eBay yesterday and realized I have a lot of Early American Prescut glassware made in the sixties by Anchor Hocking. Most of what I have is the Star of David pattern. Maybe I should start collecting it. It can be had quite reasonably and turns up often thrift stores and garage sales, so I wouldn't have to care if something got damaged or broken. It's also sturdy enough for everyday use.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Not exactly classy to go with fine crystal, but my DS got a long pixie stick before at a party. It comes in an extra long plastic tube. If you got one you could cut to the size you want & use as a straw.

·
Super Moderator
19,540 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Jude, had to look up Pixie Sticks because I couldn't remember what they were. I like that idea a lot because I want a straw that's also wider. I drink beverages faster with a wider straw than a skinny one, and that's a good thing when it comes to water.

·
Super Moderator
19,540 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Today I finally picked up a nice Rival steamer at Goodwill for $4. I've passed them up before, but they aren't made anymore and I love the one I have, which is old now and I've been worried it's going to quit on me. So I finally took the plunge. They're getting harder and harder to find, so I figured I better get it.

Then I picked up a vintage Rival meat grinder/food processor for $5, like this one:
Vintage Rival Food Chopper Meat Grinder Grater Salad Maker Avocado Green | eBay

I'm curious if I'll like it. It's all metal except for the plastic base. I hate stuff like that with tons of plastic parts. Sure as anything, they break.

And I got two yards of really nice black pack cloth for $2.

Good deals today.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts