Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
867 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Our shed in back has seen better days. If we stay here, we'll probably end up replacing it at some point. However, today I screwed back on a panel of the sheet steel wall that blew out over the winter, removed both doors from the front (one had already been off the slider for some time) and installed a new door frame and assembled the skeleton for a new hinged door. I'm going to use the original doors as the "skin" of the hinged door so that everything matches. Total cost: less than $30.

·
Registered
469 Posts
Gosh, I wish I was handly like that. I could save SO much money. Having just had to have a new workshop/shed built, I know exactly how much money you saved yourself by buying more time for your unit, so kudos to you!

·
Registered
867 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
If we don't have an auction property purchased by the beginning of next year's warm season, I think I'm going to start slowly, step-by-step buying what I need to make a small pole barn to replace the shed. I've already looked into what the max size is that I can build without a permit, so all I need to do next is get a firmer idea of what the project will cost and then start doing it.

On the other hand, if we do acquire an auction property by then, our home improvement funds will be going toward the rehab of said property and we'll let the new owners of the shed decide whether and when to replace vs. limp it along.

·
Registered
26,302 Posts
Good for you!! Every DIY project help to keep that money in the bank! :)

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
Mek, you are so encouraging! What a great spirit for ingenuity/DIY you have! to me that's a gift", and I'm sorry to say I've lost so much of my own spirit, because I replaced it with the internet. Well, at least I know what I have to do to get it back!

So keep up the good hard work! It really does pay off. And keep us posted on your projects. Even if I'm not out there doing projects myself, it's fun coming here and reading all about your's....lol!

Theresa :)

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
Your efforts and success are very encouraging. The pole barn idea sound great.

Keep up the good work.

·
Registered
29 Posts
SO cool, small changes can make such a difference, but it needs wisdom and creativity. How talented you are. :D

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
This is great..There is always a project to take care of here...Hope that someday I will get it all done..but don't see the light at the end of it just yet..

·
Registered
2 Posts
You should be thankful for having talent, creativity and wisdom :)
About two years ago my in-laws wanted to remodel the bathroom. They hired a freelance handyman named Sam, who started the work in the beginning of August and finished it in the end of October. Practically speaking he rented their bathroom for two long months just to do a job which could have been done in two weeks.
At the end everybody was happy, he did a nice job! But frankly, even though he made a great job it was annoying that it took two months to finish it.
Luckily my in-laws had two bathrooms. :laugh:

·
Super Moderator
19,540 Posts
I redid our own bathroom in a former house, gutted it and started over. It took me three months, but I saved at least $13,000. I was home full time with the kids then, so stuff like that was my job.

·
Registered
16,430 Posts
Hmmm...I am amazed at all you women. I never thought of renovating as "My Job" as a SAHM. DH and I always viewed it as "His Job" as he was the one with previous building experience. Or "Someone Else's" job. Ie. we hired someone if he couldn't do it.

BUT the experience of renovating my entry this past weekend may have changed that. I have the vision, but not the skills. DH has the skills, but not the vision. It's a difficult mix to negotiate at times. Still, I am learning by watching...a lot of watching.

I must admit, I love lurking on this board and seeing what everyone is up to! :D Great job on the shed! A pole shed would be really interesting. I hope you post some 'in progress' and 'completed' photos.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts