Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am so hooked on canning!! Today I made tomato jam. This stuff is sooooo good! It is savory and sweet and spicy and has some heat from red papper flakes. I am sorry I waited so long to get brave and try canning!

This weekend when I pick up my bountiful basket order I added on a 25# case of roma tomatoes for $10.50

I am going to have so much fun in the kitchen this weekend. I will be doing chili sauce and some more jam. :)

·
Registered
109 Posts
Oh, yum! I love tomato jam! My grandma used to make it all the time. Wish I had paid attention and knew how to can!

Have fun!

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Tomato Jam | Food in Jars

I used this recipe and have learned much from this website.

mystypooh I have been scared of canning all my life...and I am 46!! I just started last month and it is not nearly as daunting as we believed it to be. As long as you follow safe practices and proper recipes specifically for canning....you will be fine. I do know things like acid ratio and such are important for safety so I don't just jump on to a site like allrecipes.com to find things to make. In fact when I get to work today I will have received an order from Amazon yesterday for a 16 qt pressure cooker and a book on canning from Ball. I took yesterday off and almost ran to the office to pick it up...but knew that was a bad idea. lol

·
Registered
12,986 Posts
My grandma used to make it all the time. Wish I had paid attention and knew how to can!

Never to late to learn.........and it isn't hard.......a little time consuming and some work involved, but the taste at the end more than pays for that.

Hey ponderer..............you might try just one batch of the tomatoes made with a jello too...........any flavor, but I use the stronger ones........raspberry is my favorite. You use the jello in place of the gelatin..........and if I have it I will put in an unsweetened kool-aid package.........just to make a stronger flavor.

The looks on the peoples faces when you tell them they are eating tomatoes is priceless!!

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
This recipe did not use gelatin. It is all about the slow and long cooking that brings out the natural fruits pectins. :)

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
i love canning too! I am glad that you are enjoying canning! I hope you much success!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts