Frugal Village Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
7,467 Posts
I haver mine started and they all have their little heads up and out of the dirt,

12 beef steak
12 rainbow heirloom mix
6 sweet 100
2 early girl

I can all but the sweet 100, they get eaten in salads.

·
Registered
265 Posts
I am so looking forward to having tomatoes this year! I didn't get around to putting in a garden last year (both DH and I were recovering from surgery) and I was sad about that ALL summer.

I need to get my seeds and start them this weekend; no plans yet as to what varieties I will plant, so it's fun to read others' ideas.

Kara

·
27,948 Posts
This might be the first year we don't grow them & I'm going to miss that smell they give off when you just brush by the plant & just eating them off the vine. Sigh. Every year our yields get less and less and the black crud gets them. I need to find a good source for some big juicy ones others grow. Another thing is that they take up alot of room in the garden so we plan on growing more variety of other veggies in their place.
If we were growing them we'd have roma and beefsteak.

·
Registered
904 Posts
BF hates tomatoes!

I love them. I only have the patio, so I will do successive plantings. I just started Early Girl plants and will probably continue with those throughout the season. I really like the Yellow pear tomatoes, but their days to maturity is just too long for the patio.

Next year, I will have a proper garden and have all the maters and other vegatables that I want.

·
Registered
2,411 Posts
Trying new ones this season mortgage lifter; brandywine; sweet million and will plant roma and grapes. Has anyone tried the different color tomatoes? My ds grew chocolate last year. I don't know about anyone else, but eating a green, purple or brown tomato just doesn't sound appetizing.

Weather is nice today; getting the gardening bug. Can't wait!!!!!!

·
Registered
955 Posts
I haven't decided yet what I am growing this year, but I'll know this week as I go through my seed packets plus I'll likely be seduced by a plant (or six) at the plant sales in May.

I usually have quite a color variety - red, pink, yellow, orange, green, purple, black - makes some spectacular salads and bruschetta mixes!

Last year I grew:

Beefsteak varieties:
brandywine
pink brandywine
mortgage lifter
big rainbow
mr. stripey
kellogg's breakfast
aunt ruby's german green
cherokee purple
bloody butcher
caspian pink
red zebra

Cherries:
sun sugar
black cherry

Plums:
roma (x2)

·
Registered
15,626 Posts
We're growing beefsteak, tumbling tom yellow, fourth of july, tye dye, mortgage lifter, orange wellington. big pink, roma, yellow pear, and patio princess.

those are from seed, already started.

If i see any plants that appeal to me, i will get some others later too

·
Registered
4,061 Posts
I didn't see anyone mention jet star that the one my x ust raise and they are real good but don't seem like to many people here in Ar.knows about them just wonder if they have them in other states?

Reactions: HappyMama

·
Registered
656 Posts
I've planted an Early Girl, a slicing tomato, and a Roma. I shoulda got a cherry or grape tomato, but forgot to. Only have 3 heavy-duty cages.

·
Registered
184 Posts
I've planted many varieties from seed, though it's still too cold for them to have germinated yet (they are winter sown, so sitting on the cold porch). So far:

Cherry Roma
Principe Borghese
Roman Candle
Cluster Goliath
German Red Strawberry
Caspian Pink
Nyagous
Wayahead
Manyel
Super Marzano Hybrid
Purple Russian
Homestead

Last year I had many volunteers of a Juliette tomato and Chocolate Cherry. I suppose I'll have those, too.

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
I want to plant some orange cherry tomatoes and probably some early girls. I'm going to go shopping this weekend to get my seeds and to get them started.

·
Registered
333 Posts
I started almost two flats of tomatoes. I think I am going to have waay too many. I have Bradley, Beefsteak, Sweetie, Homestead. Bush Big Boy.

I sat mine outside for a couple of hours to begin to harden off.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.