Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
19,004 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Are you doing anything special in your neighborhood?

For those who don't know what it is.

National Night Out is an annual event designed to:
~Heighten crime and drug prevention awareness;
~ Generate support and participation in anti-crime efforts;
~Strengthen neighborhood spirit and police-community relations; and
~Send a message to criminals letting them know that neighborhoods are organized and fighting back.

How Can I Participate?
The ways to participate in National Night Out are limitless! Here are a few ideas to spark your creativity:
~Get all of your neighbors to turn on their porch lights.
~Meet your neighbors by attending a block party or hosting a barbeque.
~Encourage your kids to get involved. Ask them to make posters and yard signs for the event.
~Invite local law enforcement to talk about crime prevention.

**Taken from a flyer passed out by the local fire dept. which DH and I are both members of.**

We are going to the community center/fire department and eat hot dogs cooked by the local sherrif deputies in the area. There will be fun things for the kids as well....dunking booth, games, etc. I think all communities, neighbors should get together for this cause....show the criminals we are a strong community!!

·
Registered
19,004 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It was so fun! They had a raffle and we won 2-3 liter bottles of sprite, 1 chocolate cake, 2 skateboarding helmets, 1 bicycle helmet and a box of dominoes. They gave you all the hotdogs and sausage you could eat along with chips, tea or sodas! There was even watermelon or cake to choose from. It was fun getting out and talking to the folks in the community. AND it was all FREE! They also gave the kids crayons, wooden airplanes, pixie sticks, pencils and magnets. The women received lotion.
There was also a dunking booth where the kids could try to dunk someone...lol! All in all it was a great night!!!!

·
Registered
4,215 Posts
Sounds like you had a great time! I saw this on the news last night, the neighborhood I lived in in Omaha was having one. We didn't do anything here, everybody already knows everybody, but it would be a good thing for the new people in town to meet the lifers!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts