Frugal Village Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
2,688 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, this time of year, I have going to have more eggs than I know what to do with. In the summer, I can sell some at the farmer's market. I do know a little country store who wants a few dozen a week currently. Hopefully he picks up some interest and can buy more.

So today the storeowner gives me some pickle juice from sausages he sells. I asked him to save me some, last time I was in. That big gallon size jar. So maybe a good 1/3 is juice. So my thought is to maybe boil the juice as a precaution ? Yes or no. Then I have some hard boiled eggs ready and want to put them in clean quarts and add the pickle juice. He said to let them sit for about 2 weeks for the brine to work.

Anybody have a homemade recipe for the pickling juice ?

·
2,688 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·

·
2,688 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I can get you a recipe from my buddy, although I'm not sure you would like the ..ahem.. "end" result.
I'm sure the hubby would be game :)

·
Registered
12,986 Posts
Years ago my mom had helped me make some of her 'divine' dill pickles and a bf was ALWAYS taking the juice for her eggs.

All she did was just drop the hard boiled eggs in the juice. Left all the dill and garlic right in there with them. Did nothing prior to the juice.

She did say that about 2 weeks was the time period to leave them but her boys wouldn't do it.......one week max and they were gone!!

Now you have me curious (never did try one).........guess I will use some juice from store bought and try it.

·
2,688 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
My hubby is making a pig of himself eating pickled eggs. Instructions were to let them sit about 2 weeks. I don't think they made it even 24 hours /1 day. I only made 17 eggs the first time. I know he has boiled another dozen and put them in the jar already.
I did boil the juice for awhile before I used it, as a precaution. Then I put the eggs into 2 quarts and used a storage cap. When I checked later, hubby had moved them all back into the gallon. Along with the pint jar of extra juice. I wanted to use the quarts so they fit into the frig better than the gallon jar.
Guess I will get another dozen of eggs boiled today and have them ready. I was thinking about figuring out another pickle brine to try.
I like to make deviled eggs as dish to pass for big family meals. I am thinking eggs in a brine and then devil them might be real interesting. That is, if I can keep the hubby out of them long enough.
The store keeper told me to make a small cut in the eggs to let the brine work in better. My question to him, was what if I poked holes in them with maybe a toothpick or a big needle. Course if just for home use, no problem in experimenting :)

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
I used this recipe!

# 3-4 cups vinegar
# 1 teaspoon sea salt
# 1/2 cup fresh onion rings
# 1 tablespoon pickling spices
# 1/4 cup white or brown sugar

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.