Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Did anybody else heed the warning that peanut butter would drastically increase in price within 2 months and overstock their pantry on peanutbutter?

It seems that at least a month has passed since the warnings came out, and I haven't noticed any increase in peanut butter prices at all. And I have more peanut butter than I would have bought otherwise. I guess I need to make a million peanutbutter cookies for the holiday.

·
Super Moderator
19,540 Posts
Or freeze it.

We bought a bunch before the 'warning' came out (are those warnings put out by food producers who want to sell a bunch of product?) and froze it. It'll keep indefinitely so no need for us to use more than we normally would. :)

·
Registered
2,038 Posts
Well, I had a bunch of coupons for the Planters pb that were on the verge of expiring, so I bought 16 or 18 jars at Walmart a few months back. While volunteering at our community 'free thrift shop' of sorts, someone dropped off a box of 17 jars....which I split with 2 other women vounteering, meaning I took home 6 (rules are we have to throw out any food items or volunteers may take them, but we can't put them out for the 'general public'). with 2 little ones we go through a bit of pb, so while it looks like a lot for now, it'll go. I too have noticed no huge hike in prices either.

·
Registered
1,743 Posts
You could send ME some of those cookies.....just sayin'...... :)

·
Registered
9,296 Posts
I've been buying a few jars at a time when I see it at 99c, and I had just bought 2 jars the week before that news came out. DH uses about a jar a month.

I had the opportunity to get 6 more jars (with coupons) a couple of weeks after that news story, for $1 each so I did. We will use them in any case. I don't really track the price of peanut butter since I only buy it when it is a dollar or less, but I am not expecting to see very many more sales at that price in the future.

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
You may have spoke too soon on the lack of price hike. I was in Sam's Club yesterday and we too, stocked up on six large jars of peanut butter from Sam's Club and it was a good thing because between our last trip to Sam's Club in early November until yesterday it had went up $2.00 for the double pack.

My mom loves peanut butter fudge. I have never made it, but this is the time of the year to make it if you like it.

A2M

·
Registered
12,986 Posts
Our prices have increased some.........not a huge jump.

I can go through some PB when baking........so I will use it and it will last past expiration if kept cool..........don't let it get warm!

Put some (1/2 to 1 cup) in some brownie batter...........microwave just until soft. Put 1/2 to 3/4 cup in choc. chip cookies........again, micro. until just soft.

PB cookies........PB fudge........add some to smoothies.......it can be pretty easy to get rid of.......

·
Registered
3,035 Posts
My guys will add it to smoothies. They will put in milk, choc milk mix, frozen bananas (anyone remember me posting about making banana "plops"), and a huge scoop of PB in a blender. It makes a chocolate PB banana smoothie.

Side note: We smoosh up over-ripe bananas and "plop" a spoonful onto a cookie sheet. We then freeze the "plops" and store them in a baggie.

·
8,714 Posts
~It went up here. I bought up a decent supply at $1.50 jar with rebates, normally $2.20. It's now $2.50 a jar.
We go through so much PB here that I don't ever have to think of ways to use it up. Put a Tbsp. in your oatmeal or on a piece of bread with a banana. We also love Tandycakes. Make a hot milk sponge cake. Spread on peanut butter while the cake is still warm and top with melted chocolate. When the chocolate is set, cut into bars. Yum!~

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
These are GREAT ideas!!! We don't use it much, just two people and a dog, but the thought of NOT being able to have the rare pb and j sandwich sent me rushing to buy some before it became "unaffordable"...now we're just about sick of pbj sandwiches but have plenty of PB left...so I'm going to use some of the ideas here to use up some of the excess, and freeze the rest.

Still no increase in prices here that I've noticed (but I haven't been so Sam's, so maybe there has been and I just don't know it)...can't wait to have some brownies with PB in them and the birds will love the pb and birdseed pinecones. thanks all!

·
Registered
2,372 Posts
I'm confused. Even if the price HAD gone up, say, to $5 a jar, wouldn't you still have too much PB?

Thanks for the freezing tip, once again Frugal Folks have so much great information!

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I'm confused. Even if the price HAD gone up, say, to $5 a jar, wouldn't you still have too much PB?

Thanks for the freezing tip, once again Frugal Folks have so much great information!
Actually you're right...no matter what the current price I'd still have more peanutbutter than we need right now. BUT if I hadn't bought into the "warning" to stock up on it because it would soon be so much more expensive I never would have bought more than a couple of jars at one time. I'd have kept up with my 1-2 jars per shopping trip and have no surplus. For us one in the fridge and 2 in the cabinet constitutes the stockpile. 6+ in the cabinet and 2 in the fridge is a bit too much. :thud:

·
Registered
3,091 Posts
You could donate it to a food pantry they always need pb!

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Peanut butter here (on sale) is $2 for 1kg - I bought 3 on sale - we'll use that up in a couple months no problem - probably even less than that with baking.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I bought about 5 jars, which is alot for me, but peanut butter has fat, carbs, a lot of good nutrition, and is filling, so I consider it a good investment. Since I'm diabetic I can't buy just anything that goes on sale. I like the Simply Jiff, which has less fat and carbs, but is more expensive. I make peanut chicken with it. Cook some chicken with soy sauce, garlic, ginger, hot pepper flakes and Sirichi sauce (or other hot sauce). When it's almost done, mix together peanut butter, soysauce, garlic powder, ginger, and thin it a bit with water. Add to the chicken and heat until ready.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts