Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wanted to share..
got some ground turkey on sale. I have this looks like a gun sorta, you fill and then it spits it out as you pump it. Its has an attachment that makes a flat 1" strip. Almost like a playdough thingy but for making jerkey.
i also bought some seasoning for jerkey. It was all marked down. I guess it wasn't a big hit.
I took the two pounds of ground turkey, added the seasoning. and put it through the squirt thingy outer.
Made strips about 3" long onto my dehydrater trays.
I made these at 7pm last night. and came back this morning at 7 am and they were done. I be I got atleast 30 pieces of jerkey..
It was sooooo good...
Just wanted to share.. and it took no time and was quick and easy.

·
Registered
3,488 Posts
That sounds so cool to use..I'm glad your family enjoyed it..My kids love beef jerky so much that I won't buy it anymore because for one it's so darn expensive for two they eat a whole package in less then 15 minutes..I need to learn to make my own like you did..

·
Registered
632 Posts
I have jerky gun like that! They are fun to use and make some good jerky. Turkey jerky is really good. I was suprised how much we liked it the first time I made it. Congrats on scoring the meat and seasoning on sale and ending up with that much jerky. You can never have enough homemade jerky on hand. Delicious!

·
4,028 Posts
Would I be able to use a cookie press? It looks like the same principle and I have an old metal press with lots of different nozzle attachments.

·
Registered
632 Posts
I would think you could if you have an attachment that's like an inch or so long and you can push meat through the gun/tube part with trouble. I'd certainly try it. The little gun I have I purchased from Target a few years ago along with the seasoning and curing packs for about 15 bucks. Walmart sells them as well on their appliance aisle near the dehydrators. They may even be cheaper now days.

·
Registered
299 Posts
I read in my dehydrator book that turkey, chicken and pork had to be precooked or processed before dehydrating it. It says also to dehydrate at the highest setting and then cook in oven at 160degrees for 30 min after drying. This is all precautions against salmonella.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts