Frugal Village Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have a 10 month old boy and we would love for him to have a puppy/small dog companion. Because Christmas is approaching it has come up. What age do you think is right for getting or introducing a pet to our family??:confused:

·
27,948 Posts
Personally I'd wait until the child is old enough to know how to treat an animal. :)

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
To this day I still have scars on my face from when I was 18 months old and was left alone for a minute with the family dog.

Wait until your child is old enough to be taught how to handle pets.

·
Registered
289 Posts
No, I can't recommend it. Puppies love to play, paw, and scratch, etc. My brother's dog accidentally caught his claw in their 9 mo. old's tongue recently, just trying to be friendly. She likes to stick her tongue out. It was not a good thing, and innocent enough, it wasn't really the dog's or anyone else's fault and a freak accident. They decided the dog had to go for safety reasons.

·
Registered
719 Posts
Easy answer. After your son is potty trained. :D My mom refused bring home a new dog (our first was killed in a car accident) until my little sister had been potty trained; she didn't want to be training the dog AND my sister at the same time LOL. The second my sister started using the toilet, the first thing out of her mouth was, "Where's my puppy?" :lol:

Oh, and geez girl, aren't you exhausted enough as it is? LOL.

·
Registered
719 Posts
I got my DS a puppy when he was 4 y.o. He learned responsibility
by feeding him and walking on a leash in the back yard.
Don't hurry to increase your poop duty.
Ahahahahahah This is awesome!

·
Registered
15,626 Posts
BTDT...two puppies and an infant. Never. Again. The puppies didnt get the attention they needed and although now the dogs are great...well, the Border Collie is...not so much the beagle, the road has been rocky. Far more than what it should...or could have been. Raise up the baby some first, then add in the dog. I agree about the poop duty comment.

·
Registered
256 Posts
I would strongly consider waiting until you're done having babies. Seriously I'd wait until your child/ren have proven they understand the boundries of a pet THEN I would look into getting a dog...I honestly wish I'd done that all those years ago- would have saved +++ headache and heartache!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
Small dogs and small children are generally not a good match. Small dogs cannot tolerate alot of grabbing and pulling and will bite to escape their tormenters. Larger (gentle) dogs are a better fit because they can handle more but I agree with everyone else, I would wait until your son is older.

·
Registered
2,038 Posts
As a dog breeder myself, I would not recommend it until your child is at least 5 or 6.....puppies like to scratch and bite playing, could easily unintentionally hurt your little one even with supervision, and as someone else mentioned the pup will not get the attention it needs....it takes a LOT of time to housebreak and socialize and train a pup, don't overfill your plate.....WAIT until your child is at least a few years older (plus, think of the fun you'll have letting him help pick out the new pup, he'll remember bringing it home, all that good stuff). I strongly urge you not to do it....it's not fair to you, your child, or the puppy.

as for larger breeds doing better with kids- that's generally true, but again, think 40 lb ball of hyperactivity + an 11 month old...recipe for disaster! Big puppies are still, well, puppies!

Reactions: frugalfranny

·
Registered
7,747 Posts
The only thing I can add to this is to do your research. Not all breeds are good family pets. It's wise to pick a dog that does not have skin tenderness. Kids, even older ones can yank at fur/skin and not mean to. There are dogs that have looser skin (seriously) and are not as easily hurt. Some dog breeds are just natural babysitters and love nothing more then the kids heads resting on them, they don't mind a hat or a pair of sunglasses plopped on their heads, and enjoy even heavy handed affection. There are breeds that are mellow, seriously mellow and have low biting incidents.

You want to be totally sure about what breed you want to introduce into your family. I'm not saying don't get a dog from the pound, I'm saying, know your breeds so when you decide it's a good time to get a dog you're not swayed by that cute face and wagging tail. A lot less would be surrendered to the pound if people did their research first. Remember 101 Dalmatians? After that movie came out, people went out in droves and bought Dalmatians. A few months later the pounds were overrun with them. Why? Because in "general" Dalmatians make very poor family pets.

Wishing you the very best on picking out your puppy when the time is right for your family.

Reactions: sjohnson3278

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
I would wait. We've had our dog for 7 years before I got pregnant, and it's still hard with our 8 month old twins. I can't imagine with a puppy! Puppies need lots of attention, guidance and discipline which is hard to give when you have a baby that needs the same. Plus puppies don't know their strength and can end up hurting baby accidentally.

ITA with what the other ppl said- don't get a pet for Christmas. It sort of says that the pet is an item, not a living creature.

Even if you adopt an adult dog, you'll still need to work on some training.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.