Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So our car is most likely totaled. Husband was driving it to work on Friday. A lady side swiped him and he ran into (and took out) a pole. The lady drove off but another person followed her and they caught her. No insurance, no license and she had pot on her. So obviously not getting anything out of her. Husband is ok thank GOD. He's quite sore and will likely be going back to the dr soon, but for the most part ok.
We had a 2001 Hyundai. Haven't heard for sure from our insurance agent, but we're guessing due to the age of the car and the extensive damage that it is totaled.
We *should* be able to get about $5500 back when you add in what it could make at auction plus NADA.
I'm guessing we should be able to find a good used car for about that price. Any suggestions?
Also, anyone have experience dealing with this situation with someone with no insurance? We have uninsured motorist coverage on our policy, but I'm not sure what all it covers.
Thanks

·
Registered
17,693 Posts
I have been hit a couple of times, but each time the car was insured, even when the driver wasn't. The purpose of your insurance is to make you "whole" again, after an accident, so I'd stay on them to make sure you get everything coming to you. Whether or not the woman driving was insured, she may have assets, and your insurance company can go after them.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm guessing the only assets she had she smoked.... :)

But maybe we'll get lucky! I'm just hoping they give us a fair deal for our car and that we can find something reasonable!

·
19,119 Posts
Keep strong - most important, of course, is that your DH is okay - may take a while for every ache and pain to come up. Please keep us updated.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
He's fine, sore, but otherwise fine.
It could have been so much worse, so we are really thankful for that. I'm still pushing him to make another dr appt later in the week though. I've heard that these injuries can get worse and you want to have everything documented.

·
Registered
2,811 Posts
your uninsured motorist should cove your husbands medical and your car.
Fern

·
Registered
1,743 Posts
Not sure what kind of car you are looking for, but I just had my beloved 04 Cavalier totalled (got T-boned, guy had insurance but somehow the police officer gave ME partial fault)
Anyhow, my Cavalier was extremely reliable - I drove it for 147K miles, and the only $$ I put into it were oil changes, tires, a set of brakes and a new battery a couple months ago. Ne mechanical trouble whatsoever.
Hope DH feels better soon - I'm still a little sore and bruised, but likewise, happy to be alive!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts