Registered
15,917 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Press the opposite side the same way.

·
Registered
15,917 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Now fold in half on the seam line and matching up each pressed edge. Press in place.

·
Registered
15,917 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Sew the seam on the outside close to the edge. And topstitch the opposite side of the strap close to the edge so both sides match. Finish off each end of the strap. I suggest running a short zigzag stitch across the ends. Do the same for the other strap.

·
Registered
15,917 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Positioning the straps on the tote bag. Take your ruler and from the center of the side seam, measure in and make a mark 3” in.

·
Registered
15,917 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Take one of your straps and place the outer edge of the strap on the mark and the strap going to the inside of the tote bag. Pin in place.

In the following picture, my finger on the left is on the side seam and the strap is to the inside of the little blue mark I made. It is kind of hard to see.

·
Registered
15,917 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Sew in place. I used a ‘box’ stitch. Do the same to all 4 ends of the straps. Remember you want one strap on each side of the tote bag. Don’t have your straps going from the front to the back, this will limit your top opening to get things into it.

If you chose to use webbing

With a match or a lighter, gently melt the ends of your webbing. This will stop it from fraying. Position and sew in place the same as the fabric straps.

Tip: With either fabric straps (cheaper and they will match) or webbing, SEW SLOWLY You are going through a lot of thick nesses. I also recommend using at least a size 14 needle when doing this.

·
Registered
15,917 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
A ‘box’ stitch is when you stitch around in a box. This is to reinforce the strap. You can also stitch and ‘X’ in the center of the box if you like.

·
Registered
15,917 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Here is your finished Tote Bag!

Please Do Not Post To This Thread.

21 - 29 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.