Frugal Village Forums banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Technical Support Sleuth
6,481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A Trader Joe's recently opened in our area and I went for the first time last night.

I picked up some kiwi, wasabi peas, jalapeno cheese crunches, veggie straws, habanero lime salsa, low sodium chicken broth, and something else that I can't remember but Zac really liked.

Does anyone else shop there? What are your favorite items?

·
Registered
2,375 Posts
We're getting a Trader Joes in silverdale some time in the future. I'm sooo excited about it. I don't have any favorites there because it's not close enough to shop on a regular basis, but I found their prices on a lot of things seemed cheaper than if I had bought them at whole foods.

My friend gets a wine there that's really popular and cheap. I think it's called Charles Shaw, but everyone calls it two buck chuck. It's three buck chuck now, due to inflation. :laugh:

·
Registered
11,013 Posts
We are finally getting not one, but TWO here in KC and both are relatively close to me (unlike all the other good stores in town). We've been waiting for years as all the smaller cities around us get them. Can't wait to get a look in person. I think it's going to become my new bad habit.

·
Technical Support Sleuth
6,481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
We're getting a Trader Joes in silverdale some time in the future. I'm sooo excited about it. I don't have any favorites there because it's not close enough to shop on a regular basis, but I found their prices on a lot of things seemed cheaper than if I had bought them at whole foods.

My friend gets a wine there that's really popular and cheap. I think it's called Charles Shaw, but everyone calls it two buck chuck. It's three buck chuck now, due to inflation. :laugh:
Two buck Chuck is still two buck Chuck here. I have some friends swear by it and some friends say that its only good for cooking.

·
Registered
0 Posts
The Trader Joe's Pita Crackers are so yummy! Sometimes I put a schmere on them, sometime I just eat them out of the box! ;) They come in an orange box. They are not pita chips... Pita CRACKERS! Be careful, they are addictive!

G

·
We actually drive half an hour to do most of our shopping there. I've found that for a lot of things we buy, they are just plain cheaper. For example, we do a lot of cereal bars. Around here, name brand in the grocery store is about $3.00 a box. Generic is about $2.00 a box. Trader Joe's is $1.69. They also have great prices on frozen waffles and cheese sticks (two more staples in our house).

Overall, I love the store. My favorites:
Coffee Ice Cream. Chocolate and Vanilla are ok, but the Coffee is to die for!
Rasberry Sorbet
Dumplings
Fish Fillets
Roasted Red Pepper and Tomato soup
Peanut Butter and Jelly Bars (this is a candy-type item)
Wise Crackers
Spearean Risotto
Garlic Humus
Gourmet Granola

We also use them for a lot of staples. The only things I really can't find there are molasses and condensced canned soups.

My one complaint is that I'm not overly fond of the produce. Fruits are good, but I've been less than impressed with the fresh vegetables.

·
Registered
904 Posts
We have a few here in Raleigh and I don't particularly care for them. There is always an odor and I always have to put up with some hippie giving me crap.

Give Food Lion any day of the week.

·
Registered
276 Posts
I love Trader Joe's! We don't have them in Canada but I used to ask for flights that would have me layover in a city with a Trader Joe's near the hotel so I could go shop.

The customs people are used to flight attendants declaring a bunch of stuff purchased abroad but they seem amused by my declarations of "This tote bag is filled with cookies, pita chips, crackers, dried fruit and English toffee". One guy joked "Yeah...I hate grocery shopping in Canada too." I just find there are some things there that I can't find here at decent prices.

I haven't gone in a looong time since I was doing a managerial position on the ground and just went back to flying recently. I'm super excited though because I'll be able to hit one up later this month in LAX. :rollsmile

Reactions: Libby

·
Registered
125 Posts
Those pita crackers (from previous poster) and their sun dried tomato pesto torta are soooo yummy! I love everything that TJ sells. Mmmm yogurt covered pretzels, chicken burritos, wasabi...I only grocery shop at TJs.

·
Banned
10,457 Posts
We are finally getting not one, but TWO here in KC and both are relatively close to me (unlike all the other good stores in town). We've been waiting for years as all the smaller cities around us get them. Can't wait to get a look in person. I think it's going to become my new bad habit.
We are? Where, where?! I've wanted a TJ for so long.

·
Registered
851 Posts
We have one very close by (10 mins drive), we shop there very often.
We love the low sodium chicken broth, organic veg broth, Kefir, cheese selection, pizza dough, herbs, whole grain bread... etc. I love the chocolate ice-cream. I think we like almost everything in that store. We seldom buy meat there though.

That 2-buck-chuck varies bottle to bottle, some good, some are off.

·
Registered
2,583 Posts
I miss Trader Joe's! :weeping: There are none in Colorado, but when I lived in CA I shopped there often. I love their orange chicken! My mom loves their tomato soup (comes in a box). I have a friend who also moved away and now has no TJ's near her, and adores their chocolate chips. Once when I went to visit her I brought her like 10 bags! I remember they cost less than the average grocery store too! I used to buy a dozen eggs there for $1.00, but I think they are a little more now. I found the produce to be expensive, but beautiful plants and flowers to be at really amazingly low prices!

·
Registered
99 Posts
There is always an odor and I always have to put up with some hippie giving me crap.
:crackup: I choked on my tea when I read this!

We have a TJs about an hour away. It's a bit expensive for my budget. And it's always absolutely jam-packed so it's not too inviting.

If I drank wine, I'd definitely brave it again. I've heard raves about their wines.

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
We are getting one here in the Omaha area. Can't wait to go and check it out.
It is a bit of a drive for me so will not be there regularly.

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
I go about once a month for a few things. Their frozen Mandarine chicken is fabulous! Next time I go I am getting multiple bags. Their potstickers are pretty good and their nuts/snack items. I don't care for their produce or canned soups. Oh those Pita crackers are definitely a must have!

·
Registered
133 Posts
I go there often, especially since my GI doc prescribed a kefir/yogurt/juice drink for me twice a day. Some of the things I buy there:

Kefir
Organic plain n/f yogurt
Pomegranate juice
Frozen turkey meatballs
Frozen marinated mahi mahi
Brown rice pasta
Putanesca sauce
Olive tapenade
All the cheeses (especially love the sliced colby jack and the lite cheddar sticks)
Gingerbread cookies (seasonal)
Juice boxes for the kids
Sourdough wheat bread
Turkey lunch meat
Green and Yellow Beans (steam in micro)
Canned tuna/chicken
Olive oil and salad dressings
Popsicles (caribbean is my fave, has chunks of fruit)
Milk, eggs, other staples

·
Registered
2,022 Posts
omg. LOVE LOVE LOVE TJ's...did i mention i love it? it is about 5 minutes from me...thank goodness!!!

buy lots and lots from there....

there prepared salads and sushi are fab if in a pinch for dinner or lunch on your own...

produce lasts a long long time. the green onions are the cheapest i have seen other than the asian market (which is in a bad neighborhood)

cheese selections are wonderful!!! gouda w/ olive oil is a fave here!

these pita crackers just ROCK!!! we love em w/ the redpepper and eggplant spread. yummy

whole wheat couscous is another fave

the cabernet potroast is yummy! throw it in your dutch oven along w/ some onions, carrots, potatoes and mushrooms...dinner served!

hamburgers are very good too

we think 2 buck chuck is just nasty...that is our opinion though. there is a red blend called tres pinos that used to be 4.99 - now up to 6.50...great drink! no idea you are drinking something that is super affordable! their italian wines are very good also! try em if you like tuscans...you wont be upset you did! they also take back and either replace or let you pick another bottle of your choice if you get a bad bottle.

hummus is all good there also. sea salt pita chips are to die for!

as you can see, i buy lots there...list could go on and on and on...love tj's! the frozen aisle has lots to pick from! try the black beann and vegetiable burritos...very good! all the stirfries are wonderful! shrimp being our fave. the potstickers are good too! there is a french flat pizza w/ ham, grueyre and onions that is way yummy! none crazily expensive either!

love the walnut oil for marinating veggies for grilling. very good and fair priced

i could go on and on all night, but think i will stop here...

also, try the steak tips....

·
Registered
1 Posts
We have a few Trader Joe's favorites that strike the right mix of quality and value:

The 10-year-old balsamic vinegar
White and whole wheat pizza dough
Barbara's shredded oats cereal (big box at good price)
Wines other than Charles Shaw
Brie -- only the "Traditional French Brie" with the orange label. This cheese actually ages and gains a stronger flavor as it does. If you prefer bland/mild, don't get this cheese.
Beef jerky -- without MSG or hydrolyzed/autolyzed ingredients
Nuts (the dry-roasted cashews are great...)
Jasmine and Basmati brown rices
Organic white corn tortilla chips
Organic whole wheat pasta
Soy and flaxseed tortilla chips
Dijon whole grain mustard (it's not spicy)
Also, we occasionally try the frozen appetizers and meals, and frozen fish.

·
Registered
352 Posts
We love Trader Joe's too, but unfortunately don't get there enough as it isn't convenient. It is MUCH cheaper than Whole Foods. I can't do all of our shopping there when we go, but I usually buy snack foods and always buy pizza dough- it is 99 cents and both the white and the wheat is really good. You can freeze it too. My kids think that is so fun. I used to make it myself, but for 99 cents it is just as cheap to buy it.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.