1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Technical Support Sleuth
6,481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
649 Posts
I visited the wall in Washington, D.C. years ago I think that it was the Vietnam wall, and yes it is very sad to think of all that died and how they were treated.

·
Registered
3,035 Posts
It came through here a few years ago. My twins are named after one of the guys on the wall. Well, the guy on the wall and the guy's father.

·
Technical Support Sleuth
6,481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I've seen the actual wall during a trip to D.C. It didn't hit me the way this one did.

Maybe seeing it on my own 'turf' and surrounded by my own 'people'? There were many more people here as well.

W had questions, we asked a veteran/volunteer. I cried, then he cried. I felt awful, apologized for upsetting him, he told me it was therapy for him.

I'd like to go back today before they take it down.

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
I haven't had a chance to see it. I can only imagine how sad I'd be.
I went to Omaha Beach and just standing on the sand, looking up at the cliffs made me realize the how hard our military members fought. I sat on the sand and wondered about who was on that exact spot so long ago.....if they were scared, hurt, crying....how they made it through all that horror.

It sounds like it was well organized if they had vets to answer questions and tell their stories. I'd love to attend one of those.

·
Registered
2,811 Posts
My son took me to the Mall of America in DC and we both seen it. Its sad we lost so many for a police action.
Fern

·
Registered
2,372 Posts
I went when it visited our area and did a tracing for my dad of someone he knew. Very helpful people to help me look up the person's name in those giant binders. Very moving to see.

·
Registered
672 Posts
We went on a week long school trip in 8th grade to D.C. and it was one of the places we visited. I think most of my class was moved by it (even at that age). Very sad.

·
Registered
4,525 Posts
When in DC I went to the wall. Thought it was really beautiful and kept fighting back the tears. There were some vets who were standing around the memorial but stating they were unable to get closer.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts