Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3,244 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've always had good luck with my bread recipe, but a few weeks ago, I bought a copy of mother earth news as I was going to be stuck at a hotel for a few days. And came upon an article titled:
5-minutes a day for fresh baked bread

And upon reading it, I really liked the concept. So today i'm testing it out.

It took less than 5 minutes to put the dough together. No kneading involved. Just mix until even. Done. Now it needs to rise until if falls a bit. Again no kneading. Then it can go in the fridge until wanted.

On baking day, it's cutting off a piece, shaping it let it rise 20 minutes, then bake it.

That's it. Very hands off. So I'm giving it a shot. The dough can be used for bread, pizza dough, cinnamon rolls, buns. And it's in your fridge waiting for you to use. Just like buying ready made dough, but in your freezer. I'm down to 1 loaf in the freezer, so I won't bake today, I don't think. Maybe I will. I'm very curious.

Ingredient are simple. Water, kosher/sea salt, yeast and flour. Nothing fancy. Just a basic bread.

If anyone wants to read the article, it's online: http://www.motherearthnews.com/Real-Food/Artisan-Bread-In-Five-Minutes-A-Day.aspx?page=1

Recipe is page 4

Reactions: Michelle

·
Premium Member
21,255 Posts
I'll be waiting to hear how it comes out. Sounds like a very neat concept. :chef2:

·
Registered
3,244 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That is where the recipe is from. Just a sneak peak on Mother Earth News!

There are a few recipes in there, so I'll try a couple if they work well, I might treat myself to the book once I lose another debt.

·
Registered
3,244 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok, yesterday I mixed up the dough. It took less than 5 minutes! Today, I took out a couple pieces and have them in rough shaped loaves, resting for another half an hour before I bake it.

If it turns out pretty good, this is how I intend to do bread. That the basic dough can be used for pizza dough too is a bonus. As it's sitting in the fridge ready to use.

I'll post how it goes!(And tastes!):choco:

·
Registered
3,244 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It turned out fabulous! The older kids love it. Because it has a bit of the sourdough flavor, the little one didn't care for it. That's ok though.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts