Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I usually foodshop once a month, I go to the BJ's wholesale store and spend around $300. This is to feed my daughter, my brother, my boyfriend, myself and our several animals. I have a freezer in my basement that I store all extra frozen items in and I also have 2 bookshelves down there stocked with canned goods and boxed items... Here's where the lightbulb appeared over my head this morning... why do I have a stocked fridge/freezer, stocked EXTRA freezer, stocked cabinets and two stocked bookshelves of food and yet I'm still spending $300/month? I have PLENTY of the staples.. and apparently plenty of everything else to. So I'm challenging myself, I'm going tomorrow to buy just the necessaties (I just need Eggs, soy milk, some fruit and lettuce) and that is it for one month!! I have 12 (yes you read that right) 12 entrees (each serves 3) stocked in my freezer plus about 15 pounds chicken breast, 10 pounds ground beef, a whole shelf of bread and rolls etc... My challenge is.. I'm not going to the store.. not once (except for milk of course) for one entire month. I'm going to use what i have on hand at home (some things that have been there for months) and save myself some money this month. I don't have time to cook everynight after work BUT I do have time to double recipes when I do cook and to make 1-2 meals on a sunday to freeze. So.... That's my challenge. No grocery store for one month after I pick up my 4 items except for Milk.

·
Registered
9,412 Posts
I know you can do it! Shoot I wish I had as much stocked up like you. :)

·
27,948 Posts
Good for you Jen, I should join you .;)
Have fun eating high on the hog and not spending anytime at the grocery store.

·
Registered
3,373 Posts
That's great :). I know you can do it!

·
Registered
579 Posts
Goodluck........You can do it!!

·
4,028 Posts
That is awesome. I have been trying to reduce our grocery bill and for the past 3 weeks have only purchased milk, eggs, produce and the occasional frozen veggies. I have convinced my spouse to let me try 1-2 dinners meatless as we don't need the extra meat in our diet, so we will see how long that really lasts! LOL Oh, and I also don't take him with me when I go shopping!

·
Registered
713 Posts
Go for it! I'm trying to get my fridge and pantry cleaned out, get rid of the excess also. I'm starting to get down to odd random things like pickled artichoke hearts, whole canned jalapenos, tamarind soup base, etc. LOL

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
It's always fun and sometimes challenging to cook from the pantry, fridge and freezer. Think of your savings, that is great!

auntie

1 - 10 of 10 Posts