Frugal Village Forums banner

Trying to cut bills is harder thatn I thought it would be

5K views 54 replies 21 participants last post by  nodmicks 
#1 ·
So we looked at our bills and tried to change them into our favor.

It was harder than I thought. We researched before getting them the extras like cable internet and cell phones to get what we wanted at a good deal.

So trying to lower them today was not very fruitful.

Take cable and internet for one. We could lower them by about 8 dollars a month. We had a old plan and the new plans were way more expensive and come with contracts. So for that 8 a month we would lose the DVR have to rent their modem have limited internet and lose most of our tv channels.

Cell phone was similar.

Electric, gas, water, and trash there is no choice you get what you you get. To lower your bills you just have to watch how much you use.

Man, we were just to good from the get go and can't lower the bills now.

Have yet to figure out how we will lower the monthly out go.

See less See more
#2 ·
I hear you on bills.

The only what to cut the utilities is to be frugal users. lights off, temp higher in the summer, lower in the winter. Limiting - tv time to conserve power, or computer time- set an hour you use it, the rest of the time it's off.

Since ds17 is working full time, we've passed on his cell bill to him, lowering ours by 35. We don't have to buy a bus pass for him, as he carpools with dh to work. He is also purchasing some of his lunch foods. This has been a great eye opener for him, he isn't over indulging in many things now, as he is seeing the costs first hand.

So while he's working we're saving about $86/mo. Then it's back to school for him for 6 months, then he'll be paying these things again.

Dh says if he's working full time, he's paying room and board. While he's in school(8-12 weeks once a year for 4 years) he'll be given grace from it. So he doesn't take advantage.

Reactions: QM and imagine
#3 ·
I totally agree.
I'll check with the auto insurance to reduce the usage of 1 car, since DS will be out of state for the school year; hopefully a $30 month reduction (still need to keep the car insure, since I might be driving it occasionally). Next is the cable, that would be $10 less per month.
I can't see a lot changes in other utilities bills.

#4 ·
Yep, I agree.

I cancelled our garbage service & choose to recycle everything possible (free) & take one bag of trash a week to either my mom's house, my MIL's house, or toss it in my hubby's dump trailer (work) - so maybe you have that option if you have a recycling center near by?? And a friend or family member that will let you toss in a bag a week??

Reactions: imagine
#5 · (Edited)
Nope trash is through the city and every house is required to have service. No alternative. Everyone gets the same size can and assigned a curb side pick up day all the same price no matter what, you use it or not.

Reactions: QM
#6 ·
It can be hard and I've been working on it.

Dropped the Dish down 2 packages. A few whines. (never thought I would do this!)
Cut down AT&T net/land line service about 30 bucks a month just by calling.
Cut 2 cell phone plans insurance. 10 bucks a month.
Liability on one car. (hope that wasn't a stupid move)

That's about all I can do for now. :)

#7 ·
We just cut the cell phone bill by $20 cut the insurance part Like you did
we are thinking about cutting the home phone and use just the cell phone a bit nervous about that but would save $34 a month as long as it does not make us go over our cell phone mins.

#8 ·
What about raising deductible on auto/home insurance? That can decrease premiums.

We are in the same boat with cable/net. The best promo rate locks us in for 2 years and is higher than the current plan we are on. We are canceling cable, increasing our Internet speed and adding Netflix. By doing that, we will save 50 month.

#10 ·
Have already been at no bells or whistles for a long while. We can receive calls and make local calls and we live in a very small local calling area.

You would also be surprised how many people assume you have caller ID you should know they called, you should know who they are, you should know their number sorry no caller I'd here you will have to tell me who you are when I pick up. Want me to know your number you will have to tell me. Want me to know you called leave a message on the answering machine or I will have no idea you called

#11 ·
Our biggest saver was getting rid of a cell phone plan and getting a TracPhone. But otherwise, you're right, it's hard to make big changes when you didn't go overboard to begin with.

#12 · (Edited)
What is a trac phone? Can you text with it?

Just looked it up on the net looks like coverage is iffy where I live

#14 ·
You can text it. You can even get one that is like a smartphone.

But I've only spent about $20 every other month on my phone as opposed to $110 a month on the three of us before.

Reactions: QM and imagine
#15 ·
I cancelled our home phone about a year ago, and got big J a cell - actually, it was just my old cell, $10 extra a month to add him to our plan-

We don't miss the house phone. I left a corded phone in the kitchen for emergency 911 use - even without service, it can still call 911. (I think that's neat)

We also dropped full coverage on both cars (older cars/paid for)

so far, it wasn't a mistake.... ((knock on wood))

I kept uninsured motorist - just in case.

I pay $13 for basic B A S I C cable - that gives us 13 channels (local) - but I've been debating cancelling that also - then we will get fuzz. BUT we can always watch movies, or watch shows online -

That's a tough one for me.... cause I think "well, it's only $13/month"

It used to be $9, it keeps creeping up and that annoys me enough to cancel it.

We really don't watch much t.v. anyway....

Anyway: I vote cancel your home phone!! If you hate it, you can always connect it again.

#16 ·
We don't miss the house phone. I left a corded phone in the kitchen for emergency 911 use - even without service, it can still call 911. (I think that's neat)
I had not heard this with landlines so I checked the net and it says that if you can call 911 from a no service landline varies by state and the state law. The way to check is if you plug in the corded phone if get a soft dial tone you can call 911 with it if you hear nothing then you can not call 911 with it.

I bet I live in a state that you can not I have a friend that just cut her home phone I will see if she gets a soft dial tone.

#17 ·
So far we have canceled cable and use Netflix on demand only. We were lucky to have an XBOX 360 that was given to us for Christmas for the kids one year by Grandma that we can use to play Netflix on our tv. We canceled the newspaper to save $36.00. We also recently switched from Sprint to Virgin Moble for our cell phones. We have android phones we had to buy upfront, but they have already paid for themselves. We pay $55.00 per month on a month to month basis to have unlimited talk, text, email, and web. It is nice to have all the features I use without being stuck in a contract.

#19 ·
I thought about Netflix instead of cable ( Hubby not so much)
The problem we have run into is that in our area unlimited internet service is no longer available. So if we change things up we would have to go to limited and that I hear would not be good if you wanted to use netflix in place of tv ( we can not get regular tv hear at all. We are luckier than some around here they can not get/or have a hard time getting internet at their house.

One friend has tried to get internet as the the kids has access to the text book from school on line. She has had no luck getting any reliable service. She gave up and heads to the library for internet and waits her turn.

#18 ·
Uggh, I hear you. DD's 2 mornings a week preschool went up $5 a week- no big deal, except they also cut hours on it. Will be cutting back dumpster service from e.o week to once a month and save $20 a month- will make up for the extra $20 a month preschool now costs. But can only do this 1/2 a year- not only emptying the dumpster 1x a month is the warm months!

Little irritated- used to be $5.50ish last year, with new rate and hour cut, it's up about $2 an hour...I find that to be a big jump hourly!

#20 ·
I do not feel so bad for our trash cost now we pay $14.50 a month. they give/lend us the trash cart, pick up once a week, we have access to the recycling center, can drop off grass and limbs (yard waste) for free, and we can go to the dump for free two weekends a month (one in spring one in fall)

#21 · (Edited)
Thanks everyone for the ideas. Keep them coming please. Hopefully, I can find some that work here.

I think part of the reason we are having a hard time lowering our bills is because of limited options (maybe due to location?)

You all were naming cell phone companies I had never heard of here. After looking at the coverage maps I understand why we have never heard of them here. No coverage or poor coverage.

Also noticed the coverage on pre-paids was different on some companies. one company would put us in a romaning area quite often.

Who would have thought trying to lower your bills would be so hard

Reactions: lovestoread
#22 ·
We just moved and I got everything requoted for the new location. Phone only went down by about $6 because we require internet for my husband when he works from home and because we need to keep at least a basic local land line. We use Skype for long distance and a pre-paid cell phone for my husband so I can call him at work. (Both of his companies he works for have ditched the landline phone in favor of everyone being on a cell phone.)

It is amazing what won't change. Our rent went up but our utilities will be down. So that evens out.

When you are down to the bone, there isn't much more you can cut.

#23 ·
For the land line phone issue - are you able to use VoIP? (phone through your internet) and/or the MagicJack - not really sure how that works but it does go through your computer.

For tv - if you were to pay to get an antennae (think modern day rabbit ears) would you be able to receive a few local channels?

#24 ·
Everyone hear says magic jack doesn't work. I have not tried it. We are leaning toward just cutting the land line and using my cell as our main number. I don't think it will go over minutes as long as I don't chat on the phone but instead remember if a friend wants to talk suggest a get together (come over for tea sort of thing) Of course I can talk to my mom all I want as she is a free long distance number no minutes used as she is on that same plan so I call her on the cell as it is now)

TV- no the special antennas don't work. We are suppose to get one channel with the digital convertor and special digital antennas. We bought all those and we did not and do not get any stations in our house. So the only way to get local channels is cable (dish works here but everyone I know complains about it)

#25 ·
Electric, gas, water, and trash there is no choice you get what you you get. To lower your bills you just have to watch how much you use.
Have you called them up to ask? I have switched to the absolute smallest trash can mine offers and I now only pay $2.75 for a can instead of the $13 one they had me on. Then I gave up my Yard Waste cart and mulch everything myself. That saved me $9 a month.

Mine has lots of options.

#30 ·
Put utilities on the average payment plan.

Turn down/up the thermostat two degrees.

Try the Dollar store brands of greeting cards, cleaning stuff, toiletries, etc. You won't know if this will work until you try it. It can be 1/3 of the price of name brands.

Try purchasing store brands for cooking ingredients. You won't even notice a difference.

No dryer, wash full loads in cold.

Only wash full loads in dishwasher without using the heated drying.

No eating out, junk food stops or coffees out.

#33 ·
Thanks for the ideas

What is the advantage of average placement plan? Seems to me to be better to pay what you actually use?

#35 ·
It is amazing the difference from place to place, isn't it?

#36 ·
if i cut the homephone we are no longer a tripleplay discount so save mothing
cant cut the cells
need mine for work and i cant take the stress that would go with the kids not having theirs if i need to contact them for some reason and due to the activities etc they have - there are no pay phones around here and them asking to use someone elses is not an option in my mind because its a pet peeve of mine- because we had it done to use by a parent always calling my dd to reach her dd and she sent us over our limits . thats not being frugal in my mind thats being cheap because their choice is costing someone else ( me ) money .

we did have to add child # 3 to car insurance as he has his permit and a ticket dd got raised our rates also ( she said she would pay the difference but has since moved out and i just dont need the arguing / stress etc and she may not be able to afford to stay out if she has to pay that extra so i prefer peace at home with her living out )

we raised our deductables took a close look and saw that on the newer 2 cars we were paying some sort of a warrentee like thing that we never asked for that i remember - we also changed some other things after i researched them and eded up adding one person and saving 100 a month over the quote and 50 a month over what we were paying

and i am working a bit more also

as dave says you have to make less go out or more come in

#37 ·
I'm not sure the "deal" (this is put into quote because they want us to believe we are getting a real deal) you are getting and I do not have cable tv. Seems like where I live the deal you get for the first year you are with them is $30 apiece. I am in the situation right now to call and change companies. Why do they keep doing this. I can't think of any other company that makes us keep changing back and forth to keep a reasonable rate!!!

#38 ·
Our rate is reasonable be because it has not changed. It is the same "deal" we got when we signed up 7 years ago.Yes we have the same service and pay the same monthly amount we did 7 years ago

My friend had a great cell phone bill because she kept the same contract after it expired.

I do not understand what you mean by" keep changing back and forth to keep reasonable rates"

G
#41 ·
My biggest bill that I'd love to cut is car insurance. DH and I both managed to have accidents in 2008, and we're in MA - one of the higher car insurance rates in the county! We both drive 2004 Honda Civics and we still pay $2000 a year for car insurance. Last year I got quotes from 3 different places and only one was cheaper - by $30 per year. I decided it wasn't worth my time to switch for that (would have had to bring both cars in to get inspected, do a lot of paperwork, etc.). We already have a $1000 deductible and don't carry much more than state minimums.

I am lucky in that we don't pay much for phone/cable/internet - perk of DH working for the cable company. We pay $30 a month for high speed internet (business class), expanded basic cable with sports package, movie channels, and HD upgrade, and phone service. I use a prepaid cell phone and DH just uses the one work gives him.

#42 ·
I would also suggest using the computer to watch your shows. Lap tops can be hooked up to the computer so everyone can watch a show. Hulu also has a feature that you pay for monthly to watch more shows and movies. Might be something to look into. Then you could cancel the tv service.

#43 ·
I so wish we had a laptop that would be cool. We so want one for when Buddy needs to be online accessing his textbook for school. As is we all have to let him have access during that time. There is always someone waiting their turn for the computer. I think we should have a take a number sign. LOL

I'm afraid with limited internet service that would interfere with Hulu watching or Netflix watching. I have heard to many local stories of people that went over their limit and had huge bills because of it.

#46 ·
I recently went to the in-person service center for my cable to inquire about the cost of internet only without cable. They asked why, I explained that we need to save money. They gave us a lower rate - about the same as just internet plus Hulu plus and Netflix online would have been.

I think you need to go in person though, I don't think the call center employees care / know enough economics that less revenue in-house > any revenue to someone else.

#49 ·
We are trying to tighten up the budget also. The only thing left to really cut is Dishnetwork.

We already have no home phone.

Our verizon is $62.94 for 500 min and 250 text split between 2 phones. That uses dh's work discount

We can't reduce garbage further.

I 99% have dh talked into letting me turn off the dish in favor of hulu plus. He freaked about no ESPN. The kids lave an xbox 360 that streams it free. If we go with the Hulu plus it will save about $30 a month :)

It is hard to cut when you haven't been going overboard in the 1st place.

#50 ·
I thought you had to have an internet connection for Xbox to stream. Do you have unlimited internet amount. WE have several people here that ended up with a huge internet bill because of streaming Nextlix and hulu plus and not having unlimited internet..

#53 ·
I think I'd stay with the outdated plan also! Interestingly when we turned off the home phone we can only call out to 911. However all calls still ring through and I can answer them. Not hurting my feelings! I thought about checking the thrift stores for an answering machine to pick up the calls.

#54 ·
I checked into the home phone without service being able to call 911. It varies by state law.

I live in a place that if you turn of your service the line becomes dead and it can not even call 911 and certainly could not receive calls even by accident.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.