Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
4,028 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have a bathtub in the rental that has a huge.... HUGE.... HUGE rust stain on the bottom of it where the finish has been completely destroyed. I'm talking down to the cast iron.

Has anyone ever refinished or reglazed their tub before? I've been searching online for home kits and professionals but no one is local to us. The only home kit I found was called TUBBY and it looks like it might work, but pictures on websites can be very misleading.

I was hoping someone here may have experience and can give me some tips on what I should be doing.

TIA
Ceashels

·
Registered
1,792 Posts
Be very careful with the do-it-yourself ones--the fumes are horrible and you really have to know what you're doing to avoid dripping and running. If you can find a professional to come out, it's not that much money and they do a beautiful job (or the guy that did ours, did a great job anyway).

·
Registered
14,689 Posts
We had our's done and it was a mess, took lots of paper to tape off and such (he sprayed it on and I think the diy stuff is more of a roll on, isn't it?). I wouldn't be too scared to do it myself if I knew I could call a professional if I couldn't get it right. Sorry, no help with brands or types.......

·
Registered
9,412 Posts
I've heard the DIY stuff isnt what is says it is, meaning it doesnt last long and really isnt that easy to do. I've also heard that the fumes are so bad too!

I wanted to redo our tub since it's an ugly blue but even though the cost of the DIY kit is good, I dont think I would want to do that much, another thing is I hear it doesnt last long.

·
4,028 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you for the inputs. The Tubby brand is a roll on so that would help contain the mess. I think though, that I will do some more research and look into liners as an option.

:) thank you again

·
Registered
207 Posts
we are considering doing this too. We have a tub that some one tried to do but now it is peeling and chipping, They did not do a good job, lots of runs and drips. So currently we have a white tub and sink with large blue spots, pink wall tile, and chocolate walls.

We had a conpany called re-bath quote putting in an insert, but they wanted $1500 just for the tub.

·
Registered
8,566 Posts
To bring this up to date - ceashels bought a brand that uses two spray cans, and you heat one, cool the other and mix them both then spray it on the tub (after about 20,000 cleanings with special chemicals). She finished putting on the 2nd coat last night, and it looks AWESOME! There are a couple of drips, but when it comes to cosmetics, this is an area where we're willing to say, "good enough". The two coats completely covered the bare metal and it looks really amazing.

Other than me volunteering to do a couple of scrubbings myself to help get rid of the rust, this was entirely her project, and she has totally kicked on it. I dunno if we got a pic of the tub before the refinish, but we'll have to get and post a pic of the tub after. It's amazing. :D

1 - 7 of 7 Posts