Frugal Village Forums banner

Turkey prices 2021

3K views 25 replies 7 participants last post by  luvdietcoke 
#1 ·
Let's compare turkey prices in the runup to Thanksgiving. And add approx. area of country (or which country) you live in.

I'll start, 47 cents a pound, northern New England. Limit 2, frozen.

#3 ·
Central US:
Honeysuckle white frozen 1.58/lb
Butterball frozen .87/lb (normally 1.39)
24 oz turkey tenderloin roast (breast meat) 6.99 (4.66/lb)

Reactions: MaggieTru
#7 ·
Reactions: marthamfi
#11 ·
we totally do have the holiday sales for both Thanksgiving and Xmas. All the fixings. plus since in Early October usually get the deals inbetween for ham since xmas is a couple months away. Turkey not so much cus it is frozen so keeps plus xmas coming but ham we do. Plus the free w reward points etc.

one benefit of two different Thanksgiving that I had friends point out if you have American relatives then no fight over who is where for the holiday. A friend who is divorced told me cus he can take the kids to grandparents and no holiday conflict. And there is the black friday sales except they are starting already!

#9 ·
Yesterday at a chain grocery:

fresh Honeysuckle hen 2.59/lb
frozen Honeysuckle 2.19/lb
fresh turkey thighs 3.19/lb
fresh bone in breast 3.99/lb
Best Choice whole frozen turkey .99/lb WITH $25 purchase

Also:
Stovetop stuffing 2.29
Rhodes diner rolls 5.29
Jello 1.19
canned pumpkin 29oz 3.79, 15oz 2.39
pie crust 2pk 3.69
Gold medal flour 2/$5
bacon 6.99-9.60
sweet potatoes 1.49/lb
5lb bag potatoes 3.49
onions 1.49/lb
carrots .99/lb
celery 1.49/pack

No fresh cranberries yet.

#10 ·
Aldi today:

Kirkwood bone in breast 1.59/lb
Never Any whole frozen 1.69/lb
Butterball Smoked 1.99/lb
Butterball whole frozen .87/lb

#13 ·
New ad, central US

Best Choice whole frozen .99/lb with $25 purchase (limit 1)
Best Choice fresh turkey 1.99/lb
Butterball whole frozen 1.59/lb
Honeysuckle White whole frozen 1.59/lb
Honeysuckle White bone-in breast 1.99/lb

And:
Stovetop 2/$4
Rhodes rolls 4.49
10lb potatoes 3.99
brussels sprouts 2.49/lb
green beans 1.99/lb
cranberries 2/$5
sweet potatoes .49/lb
Gold Medal flour 2/$5
Jello $1
Best Choice butter 1.77
Land O'Lakes Butter 2.99
bacon 2.99 (limit 4)

#18 ·
Hot is the opposite of what you want for smoking. ~200F is perfect. You don't want flames, you don't want browning, just warm coals and smoke. A hole can be covered with something. A bird won't take long, maybe an hour, then put it in the oven to finish.

#20 ·
Charcoal doesn't add any flavor, unless it has wood chips embedded into it. Just buy some wood chips and follow the instructions. You need a big enough grill so you can create indirect heat because smoking (barbecuing) is different than grilling. It all sounds complicated but it's not. Try it a couple times and you'll see. Check Pinterest for how-to's. Smoked meats are too tasty and life is too short not to learn to DIY them. 🙂

#21 ·
I like charcoal bbq better but just takes longer of course. so use the gas one for ease. I think I should just go to bass pro and get a smoker lol or look on craigslist. wood chips just depends on which one cus dh allergies. Love smoked meats. used to be a southern bbq place..like the one thing that is not a lot of here but they sold so not quite the same.

#22 ·
On a gas grill you need a pan to hold the wood chips, they will smoulder. Like SD says, grill needs to be big enough to put the bird to one side of the fire and not cook it directly.

Other major chain grocery here:

Honeysuckle white frozen 1.58/lb (free w purchase of 4.99/lb ham ~$20)
store brand fresh turkey 1.99/lb
Honeysuckle White frozen breast 1.79/lb

And:
Stovetop 1.68
sweet potatoes .58/lb
cranberries 2/$4
butter 1.98
5lb potatoes 1.48
bacon 3.88

#24 ·
Yes, this time of year I buy as much as I can fit into the freezer. I got 4lbs of butter at Aldi last week, 2 at the grocery near me, and I'll get 2 more on Tues before the sale ends. I will get more bacon if they have any left.

#25 ·
"WASHINGTON, Nov. 17, 2021 — The U.S. Department of Agriculture today released the following statement on the average retail cost of Thanksgiving dinner staples:"

"Farm Bureau’s 36th annual survey indicates the average cost of this year’s Thanksgiving feast is $53.31, up $6.41 (or 14%) from last year’s national average of $46.90. "

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.