Frugal Village Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
906 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone tried making your own TV antenna for better reception?? We don't have cable and are not going to get it. I've read that the homemade antennas actually do a better job than the store bought. I would love to hear from anyone who has tried. I'm talking about the one that uses a 2-3' board and 6-8 coat hangers. I will either paint the board to match my room or spray it gold to match my hangers.

·
Registered
2,053 Posts
wasnt there some new federal law passed that the TV stuff no longer goes out in the way it use to - i dont know if an antenna will work anymore or for much longer - even people with no cable have to get these goofy converters around here to get the basic non cable local channels

·
Registered
5,605 Posts
wasnt there some new federal law passed that the TV stuff no longer goes out in the way it use to - i dont know if an antenna will work anymore or for much longer - even people with no cable have to get these goofy converters around here to get the basic non cable local channels
Where I live we have to have antennas to get the converter boxes to work. With converter boxes we zero channels. The converter box suggests for us a roof top antenna

·
Registered
906 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
These work with the converter box -- like rabbit ears but they say better.

·
Registered
5,605 Posts
Has anyone tried making your own TV antenna for better reception?? We don't have cable and are not going to get it. I've read that the homemade antennas actually do a better job than the store bought. I would love to hear from anyone who has tried. I'm talking about the one that uses a 2-3' board and 6-8 coat hangers. I will either paint the board to match my room or spray it gold to match my hangers.
Hubby is definitely interested. We just spent a few minutes looking on you tube for directions.

Right now with the converter box we get zero channels. We bought a digital antenna and still zero channels.

The tv still gets the fox station with the rabbit ears fuzzy but still receives it when the digital box is not hooked up..

·
Registered
708 Posts
Do you have internet...

we have dish network right now however we also have internet and are using netflix streaming over the television more so than the dish...we are going to get rid of the dish in the near future and just rely on internet television... I have already figured it out...It will save 452.00 a year...yeah me....

·
Registered
906 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I was thinking of trying the tv top model first. If there is an improvement with that, I may consider one for the attic and hook it into the prewire in the house.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.