Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter #1
This is an issue that is very important to me - we have been tv free for almost three years now. Please consider giving up "screen time" for the next week.

Personally, I'm choosing to only access my email - no web browsing. I don't have a TV or gaming system.

Check out the link below for more information.

http://adbusters.org/metas/psycho/tvturnoff/index.php

·
Registered
2,079 Posts
i know i can't give it up entirely (and i know how sad that is) but i can definitely reduce it by a huge amount

·
Registered
301 Posts
We don't have cable upstairs (which is where our living space is). We do have a tv with a built in vcr and a seperate dvd player.

I grew up with tv... like most people... and after not having it for almost a year I'm very happy to say that I don't want it. I do have videos and dvds for the kids... and there are hardly any movies out there that I would consider buying for myself.

I don't think that I can completely cut out the videos and dvd's for the kids... only because it helps the two youngest ones take their naps in the afternoon (which is the only time I can really get anything done).

So, I make this pledge.... instead of cutting out tv completely I will only use it between the hours of 11am and 1pm to get the babies asleep and I will visit the library each morning and pick up 6 childrens books and read them to the kids throughout the day.

:smball:

I can definitely say that when we move into our own house we will NOT get cable. I want my kids to grow up with a love of reading... because I didn't. I found a love for books when I was in my early 20's.

:)

I hope that pledge is acceptable for this week... and maybe next "turn off the tv week" I'll actually be able to take the tv to the basement for the week.

·
Registered
9,412 Posts
I dont have cable anymore or any other tv channels but DD and I always have a movie for sure that we watch every Monday night together since it's Mom & Daughter Night as well as DH's bowling night with friends, other than that, I can do without tv for sure. :)

·
Registered
2,117 Posts
Sorry not happening here.
My TV is my best friend all day.
My housework is scheduled around whats on at what time........

·
Registered
10,774 Posts
Not hard for us to give it up for a week! Will be unplugging it. We have lots to do outside, and lots of board games to keep us busy! Thanks for the idea.

·
Registered
3,760 Posts
I can't remember the last time ours was turned on! :p We spend most of our recreation time on the internet, learning new things, checking out our favorite sites, and keeping in contact with others through email. But we rarely if ever watch television.

·
8,714 Posts
~This comes at an interesting time, when the networks seem most noxious and irritating. During April/May "sweeps" I barely watch any tv at all. The kids watch 4 hours or less of their educational and disney videos a day. I hate how outrageous show plots and commercials are this time of year, all in the name of collecting money from advertisers. Even "news" programs scam and scheme for ratings. Urg. I think it'd be easier to avoid tv in September. If you never watch the premiers your curiosity doesn't get hooked in the first place.~

·
Registered
3,394 Posts
I could definately do this (especially if I taped the three or four once a week shows I watch) but it will probably cause a revolt at my house. I'll have to feel it out first and get back to you.

·
Registered
713 Posts
No web browsing - so does that mean FV is out? LOL
I could go without TV for the most part, internet is my vice. I'll try to cut down somewhat on that.

·
Registered
264 Posts
I'm sure we could do it a different week, but right now basketball playoffs are on and DH wouldn't hear of it. Once they're over we'll turn it off. We've done it before and it was nice- we didn't really miss it. It's just a luxury we chose to have, but we do limit what we watch. I never have it on during the day, and I only watch some select shows at night.

·
Registered
902 Posts
We have been so busy here that our TV is hardly ever on anyway. I will give it my best shot. I can listen to the ball games on the radio-I actually like that better.

·
Registered
6,281 Posts
not me, i love my tv. I remember at least 2times since me and hubby were married we had to give up tv. It wasnt hard in the summer but the winter is heck to pay when u live in the country.
I watch usually 2 hours a day. in the summer probably less because i love the outdoors and going to the beach.

·
Registered
8,935 Posts
This is somewhat easy for me to do as I use the PVR to record the shows I want and watch when ready - this way its totally ONLY what I wish to watch. I have a lot saved on there in terms of movies but dont watch them - yet. ;)

I'll prob get around to watching the few tv shows I do enjoy on Sunday at the earliest.

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
I will probably not be able to go completely tv free, but I am restricting how much they are getting in the afternoon after school. Today was a little tough, but before I knew it the kids were outside doing double dutch. I even went out and joined in in helping with the jump rope... The kids had a blast. I hope it goes better tomorrow... Good luck every one...

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
My Dh would never go for this. I usually turn it off during the day while family is away.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts