Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
737 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The first recipe I baked at 325 since no temp was listed. I made it with half white and half wheat flour. Overall, it wasn't very sweet so I think if you use the whear flour and you want a sweeter bread, you may want to adjust the sugar. I also think a teaspoon of vanilla would be good. Also, my bananas were on the small side so that may have affected it as well. Another suggestion would be to poke holes before covering with the sugar/butter coating. Overall, still very tasty. I made seven mini loaves from a double batch and cooked them about thirty to thirty-five mins total.

The second recipe tastes awesome. The knife came out clean at about the thirty minute mark and the bread was pulling away from the pan so I took it out. When I cut it, I realized it was still slightly underdone so I would be mindful of that. Probably another five minutes would have been perfect. I didn't put in any of the nuts because we don't have any. It tastes very much like a dessert. I ended up needing all of the tomatoes I pureed.

I did take pics to post, but I'll have to wait till I get a new modem:)

Apple Banana Cinnamon Bread
CDKitchen http://www.cdkitchen.com

Category: Apple Bread
Serves/Makes: 1 loaf | Difficulty Level: 3 | Ready In: 1-2 hrs

Ingredients:
1/2 cup shortening
2 eggs
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup brown sugar
3 bananas, mashed
1 small apple, grated
1 pinch of salt
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
2 cups flour
***Topping:***
1/2 cup brown sugar
3/4 cup pecans or walnuts, chopped
1/4 cup butter or margarine
1 teaspoon cinnamon
Directions:
Blend shortening, eggs, sugars and fruit together. Mix salt, baking powder, baking soda and flour together; add to fruit mixture. Bake 45 min. in greased and floured loaf pan.
For Topping:
Combine brown sugar, nuts, butter and cinnamon together in saucepan. Cook until sugar dissolves. Spread on top of bread and continue to bake 10 to 15 minutes longer.
After the first 45 min., and you add the topping and continue to bake, check with a toothpick. It may take a few minutes longer or less. This bread freezes very well.

Recipe Location: http://www.cdkitchen.com/recipes/recs/410/Apple_Banana_Cinnamon_Bread54158.shtml
Recipe ID: 18352
This recipe is from CDKitchen http://www.cdkitchen.com
© 1995-2006 CDKitchen, Inc.

Tomato Spice Bread

1 lb ripe red tomatoes
2 eggs
1/2 c cooking oil
1/2 c granulated sugar
1/2 c light brown sugar
1 1/2 cups unbleached white flour
1/2 tsp each allspice, nutmeg, & cloves
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1/4 c chopped walnuts
1/4 c sliced almonds (for garnish)
1/4 tsp salt

Preheat oven to 350º. Grease a 6-cup bundt pan or other decorative ring mold, or an 8 -1/2 x 4-1/2-inch loaf pan. Cut tomatoes in wedges and remove seeds. In a food processor or blender, puree tomatoes until almost smooth, but still slightly chunky. Measure out 1-1/4 cups puree. In a large bowl, beat eggs, applesauce, and sugars with an electric mixer at high speed until doubled in volume and light colored, about 3 minutes. Add tomato puree and mix well. In a large bowl, combine flour, spices, baking soda, baking powder, and salt. Add to tomato mixture and beat on medium speed until smooth, about 2 minutes. Fold in walnuts. Batter will be thin. Pour batter into prepared pan and sprinkle top with almonds. Bake 40 - 45 minutes, until bread springs back when touched and a cake tester inserted into the center comes out clean. Let cool in pan for 5 minutes, then turn out onto a rack to cool completely before slicing.

·
Registered
9,412 Posts
Awesome ... they sounds sooo yummy too!

·
Registered
674 Posts
yum!!

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
OK, I'm going to be making the apple banana bread tonight. That sounds great!!! And I bought 4 lbs of bananas at costco for $1.35, so I need to use them up!

Quick question, can I freeze the bananas to use in recipes later? I've heard that you could, but I've never done it.

Thanks!

·
Registered
737 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You can freeze bananas in their peels or without their peels. Supposedly, they'll keep about three months longer in their peels, but it's a watery mess to thaw them. What I've done is actually pureed the bananas and then frozen them into cubes. I think it worked out to two or four cubes per banana. It just depends on the size, but you'll remember. After freezing them you can put them in a ziploc bag till you need them. This is my favorite way to freeze bananas:)

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
Thanks! I'm going to freeze some of them to make muffins and banana bread out of them. I don't like to waste food, so this seems like a good solution!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts