Frugal Village Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How could I have been so stupid!

I am financially just fine, really, so that makes this mistake even more stupid!

Normally when I pay my rent it takes a good week to week & a half for the check to clear. This month I decided to pay my rent on the 3rd (within grace) instead of the last check in May just because. No good reason, just because...

I went down on Thursday the 2nd and dropped the check off knowing that it wouldn't hit the bank before Friday (payday).

It did...:bang: She ran over to the bank that just so happens to be my bank and caused ISF for not only that check but a $4.31 transaction that happened on the 1st. :bang: :bang:

So now, for NO good reason at ALL I have two $32 ISF fees taken out. GRRRRR!!!! $64 gone, for no reason at all...I don't know how to scream on this board, but I tell you, I hate when I'm so stupid. I haven't bounced a check since I was in my 20's.

UGH!

28,354 Posts
Don't be so hard on yourself Ruth, lesson learned.;) Sorry.

· Registered
444 Posts
In the last few months, banking has changed. It's nearly impossible to Kite a check. With the new, check/ATM readers at stores, debit/deposit is instant. I can buy gas with my ATM and it has been debited to my account, by the time I drive a block to the bank. The magic of computers has made creative financing impossible. If you pay CC on-line, it is instant, too. It used to take 3 to 5 days for a CC payment to hit your bank account.

· Registered
515 Posts
Sometimes if you ask nice they will waive the charges, espically since you don't make a "habit" of bouncing checks (as they can tell from your history).

· Registered
4,344 Posts
Yeah, what lacyj said. If I could remember where to find the article I read about it, I would post the link here for you. Things changed a few months ago, and you can be charged a bunch of fees now, moreso even than before. You can't float a check anymore. But don't feel bad- I don't think you are going to do it again, and you might be able to get them to waive the fee, particularly if you are a long time customer.

· Registered
15 Posts
You should be able to go in and plead your story to your bank or credit union and get them to reverse the $64 in charges. They might give you a little lecture, or say they'll do it as a "one time courtesy" or something, but the chances are they'll reverse it if you explain that it was an honest mistake, you don't make a habit of it, and you've been either a long-time customer of your bank and/or have a good average daily balance on deposit with them.

Go in to the branch at which you do most of your banking. Don't call, and don't call the main bank. It's your branch office that you want.

malakito.

· Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Malakito and Kimberlina that's just what I did. I went in today and explained the whole thing and how I kicked myself in the butt all weekend about it. I only asked for the $32 fee on the $4. transaction because I felt that would be fair, since if they'e presented the $4 transaction just an hour earlier it'd have plenty of money in there. She agreed to lift the fee but I still don't see it on the website. I can live with the $32 penalty for my stupidity but $64 was a bit much.
I also dropped in on the manager's office of my apartment complex and explained the whole stupid story and they agreed not to charge me a bounced check fee. They actually were quite pleasant about it. It sure does pay to have a good reputation.
Whew, I feel a lot better, but truly a lesson learned!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.