Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just need to catch my breath a second. In the space of one week, I had $1600 in car repairs, another $600 in heating oil costs (I just paid $800 in Jan for oil and repairs!), and $3K in tuition. This is going to put a huge dent in my emergency fund. I guess that's what its there for but it hurts!

Dropping my taxes off this week, hopefully I will get something back. I'm sure you can all commiserate. You just get the EF where you will be happy and then all kinds of bills come in.

Thanks for letting me vent.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thx...at this point February seems like a financial mess! I went over the grocery challenge I set too because I had a weak day and went to Whole Foods! I won't make my EF challenge either because I need to redirect some of that money to the things I mentioned above. Ugh...March will be better. I think there are 3 paychecks in March! Yea! See...the eternal optimist. ;-) Time to figure out how to get back on the wagon.

·
Registered
2,079 Posts
dont be too upset just be glad you had the money to pay for it and you didnt have to dig in debt further to do it all

·
Registered
241 Posts
dont be too upset just be glad you had the money to pay for it and you didnt have to dig in debt further to do it all
I agree! Be proud of yourselves that you had money in your emergency fund to help you out. Think of how you would have felt if you'd had NO emergency fund :confused:

Keep focused..........you're doing great!! :smooch:

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thx all.

It is good that I have been diligent about saving and I can cover it w/ my EF. The really good news is that the other half of my EF is in CDs at ING and I don't need to cash any of them to handle this. It just hurts to shell out $6K.

Now I know why I saved $70 one week in groceries and $67 the next! Long live Frugal Forums!

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Hugs! Things like that really make it hard when you're trying to get ahead. Know that we've all been there.

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
At least you had it and were able to cover it. I really hate having to use that money too, even though you know that's what it's there for...it still stings to have to watch that balance fall. I had to pull 300 out of mine the other day and was sick over it all day. No worries you'll have it back to your comfort zone in no time.

·
Moderator aka AmyBob
12,040 Posts
Ugh...no fun! However, I agree with everyone else, that it's great that you were able to cover it! Just another reminder of why I need to start an EF!

·
Registered
3,373 Posts
I am glad you were able to cover it and didn't need to charge it. I wiped out my "baby" emergency fund during one trip to the dentist. I need to build it back up again and then "pad" it a little more :)

·
Registered
4,225 Posts
Oh I hate it too.

I got a big old $400 bill due the 1st of february for the second half of "holding" my dds new fall dorm room( my ex had paid $350 in January.)

I wasn't expecting that until August!

I paid it....and in August I will be $400 up so I am finding my silver lining, my happy place....

·
Registered
263 Posts
Ugh! That stinks! I had that happen as soon as I had an emergency fund. I owed $2000 in taxes and spent $3000 in car repairs within the space of 3 months. But, remember, it is all paid for in cash! That is a great feeling when you whip out your checkbook and not your credit card. Priceless.

·
Registered
2,999 Posts
Seems that Murphy loves car repairs!! It's really geat that you had the emergency fund. You'll have it built back up in no time.

·
Registered
674 Posts
Don't beat yourself up over using the EF. I think you should look at it as being grateful you have it. I am new to all of this and my EF only has roughly $14.

Your determination will allow you to build up your EF and then some. I can "hear" it in your post.

·
Registered
254 Posts
I am like all the rest. Be glad that you had your ef. It make me think long and hard to start my ef for just that sort of thing. It almost seems like that something bad happens like that to us. But usally durning the summer.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts