Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,571 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok. So it doesn't owe me anything it is over 10 years old. But I just don't want to but one just now... Not after paying nearly $800 to have the brakes done on my car (not an optional thing). So I have no free cash to speak of.

So I am trying to live without one... but it is so hard. I can't believe how much I use it.
-heating coffee
-heating leftovers
- heating one cup of water
-melting things, like cheese, butter etc...
- heating a cup of milk
- defrosting when I am in a super rush for dinner and have to make something NOW (and not what I had planned...)

Anyways there are many more...

So I am finding I have to rethink so many steps of my cooking, and I am starting to think a microwave is an essential appliance...

Ode to a Microwave, Oh how I miss thou.....

·
Registered
2,618 Posts
I know exactly what you mean! When ours went out, we also tried to go without for a few days. You just don't realize how much you use them until they're gone. :(

Reactions: hollyhill

·
Registered
26,302 Posts
Oh no! What a change. I use mine all day long. I hope you can find a free one on craigslist or freecycle. If you lived closer, I would give you our spare one! :)

·
Registered
13,930 Posts
My kids would DIE!!! They don't use the stove top much. You can reheat in a toaster oven if you have one. Defrosting in hot water in a pan in the sink. Stove top pan or kettle. But personally I would hit K-Mart. For about $60. i would walk away happy.

·
Registered
4,726 Posts
Ours died a couple of years ago and I do not miss it one bit. At first it took some getting use to, but after a few weeks it was no big deal.

Anything we used the microwave for, we can do on the stove top.

It is one item we will not replace, ever.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Ours died a few years ago, right after Hurricane Rital. I wasn't going to go buy a new one, other things we needed. Everytime hubby went into the kitchen I could hear d***. I still didn't say I was going to go buy one. He finally had had enough of being without one and said please go buy another. It's so much better when it is their idea. :)

·
Registered
12,986 Posts
So I am finding I have to rethink so many steps of my cooking, and I am starting to think a microwave is an essential appliance...

Ode to a Microwave, Oh how I miss thou.....
I know how you must feel. A lot of people have posted on here that they don't have one.........no sir, not me---won't happen.

I use mine a LOT and since it is so much faster I would think that it saves power but have never sat down to figure it out. I truly could probably live without the 'burners' on my stove before I could my micro----use my oven quite a bit but will use a burner on the stove maybe once or twice a week.

Hope you are able to get one soon...........

·
Registered
1,571 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I am going to save to get one as fast as I can...
Thanks for the offer Debbie.. LOL

But so far I have found two things
1) I need more butter or oil because I need to heat a child's serving of leftover noodles or rice or potatoes "in" something, because I can't can't heat them dry.
2) I am washing WAY more pots..

So I will be getting another one and hopefully with-in a few weeks!

·
Registered
1,016 Posts

·
2,688 Posts
But so far I have found two things
1) I need more butter or oil because I need to heat a child's serving of leftover noodles or rice or potatoes "in" something, because I can't can't heat them dry.
2) I am washing WAY more pots.
I have a electric steamer that has a solid bowl that sets inside the top part. Works great for something like reheating mashed pototoes.

Or a metal pot on your stove that has a steamer section. Put a smaller bowl in the center of it with again, something like mashed pototoes and it should heat it fine. Oven would be fine if it was a bigger quanity of something.

A double boiler on top of your stove will work good.

Toaster oven should work. I don't have one as it takes up too much counter space.

After making coffee during the week, I usually put some in a thermos for me later in the morning. It would be rare for me to warm it in the microwave. So use a thermos when you can.

We use our microwave often. Hubby more than me, for heating coffee and then his popcorn in the evenings. I am sure if our's quit, I would have to replace it within a day or two.

·
Registered
4,525 Posts
I am constantly using the microwave. So much that I cook with it and barely use the stovetop or oven. During the summer it really helps to keep the place cool. I know I make due without one just easier to have one.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Mine just died too. I've been eating the low-sodium Campbell's soup, sandwiches, and ramen. I'm fortunate and we get to eat for free at work, so I try to take advantage of that.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts