Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
15,626 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
what to do, what to do?? I have bunches and bunches of apples. I bought a bag of red delicious, same day, dh bought a mixed bag of red delicious and granny smith on his way home from work. Then the kids picked apples at in laws house the next day....

Two weeks ago at church in the pantry I saw a jar of apples rings (thin sliced apples with the core removed, formed a ring.) all stacked neatly in the jar in a syrup that i forgot to check on the ingredient list. What do you suppose this was?? I would have checked it again, but this past Sunday when I looked for the jar it was gone. I would love to make it, especially if it was a sweet syrup. Any recipes for this?

Any other ideas for apples? We might even wind up getting MORE this Friday during Ds's field trip to an orchard!

·
Registered
15,626 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sara, that is exactly it! I wish there was a pic to show, they looked so pretty in the jar with the red syrup all around. Yummy looking.

So now I know I am making the sliced apples... i can do apple sauce... what else? Maybe some sort of snack like item. I don't have enough butter for a pie crust i don't think.

·
Premium Member
9,446 Posts
You don't have to have a crust right now to make apple pie. You can assemble the pie filling and freeze for a future time when you do have apples. I think there was a link someone shared for me on how to do it. I have it saved on my desktop, but I'm away & on my laptop right now...

·
Registered
15,626 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So far I have canned 4 jars of apple rings, made solely from mil's apples. I might give her a jar. I had syrup left over so I canned that too. Might be yum over ice cream someday.

Next is some applesauce

then some pie filing to freeze

then...??

1 - 8 of 8 Posts