Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4,525 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I decided to go to the thriftstore today. Haven't been there is a long while. Figured I would look for sweatpants
and tops for the winter. Since it is still summer the winter items were still low in price. Was able to pick up
three sweatsuits (two brand new, one pair of pants, two shirts, one sweater set, 5 sweaters, one top. Looks like I will be ready
for winter now.

·
Super Moderator
19,540 Posts
We haven't been finding much but then we don't need much, and I'm trying hard not to drag more clutter into the house.

·
Registered
13,930 Posts
Went last night to S.A. Just not into shopping. Came out w/ a plug plate nip .99 and DH got tiny walkie talkies for $5.99 @ 25%off for work travel. Spent less than $6.

·
Registered
4,525 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I usually don't get all crazy and buy a bunch of stuff at the thriftstore. But figured now was the time to stockpile a bit since who knows where the food prices will go and how high they will get. This is part of my strategy. Prepare and buy now what I will be needing that is not food so I have more money to spend on food prices once they go up.

·
Super Moderator
19,540 Posts
My happy-making find lately was a like-new cargo net for $5. We're going to use the space under the trailer dinette for storage, since it'll always be made into a bed, so it'll work out nicely to keep things in place.

I also got a part for a steamer. It's shaped sort of like a short round casserole dish, but it's aluminum with large holes in the bottom. I got it at a TS for .69 while we were on vacation. I don't want to buy a real spaetzle maker till I try making some spaetzle and see if we like it or it works for me, so this way I can try it out for cheap and see how it goes.

I heard on the news lately that grocery prices are expected to be $600 more for a family of four next year. I have no clue how anyone would even begin to figure that out with all the variables in such a scenario, but that doesn't sound so horrible. Could be worse, and who knows, it might be.

·
Registered
12,986 Posts
Way to go shoiji!!! And good thinking about being prepared.

One of my favorite TS is so small they don't even have winter clothes out now......the other two that I 'frequent' are so high that unless it is some great brand you could find them cheaper NEW!!!

SD...........I am right there with you on the not needing much...........and NO MORE NEW CLUTTER!!! And I ALWAYS WEAKEN if I find a wool sweater.........found a couple Icelandic wools about a month ago.........yep, I bought them. Then let them sit for a couple weeks while I tried to decide if I REALLY wanted to felt them..........but I did.............that are a super warm sweater (and these were a neat design!!) but SCRATCHY......and more than 'normal wool' scratchy!!

·
Super Moderator
19,540 Posts
I haven't quite gotten my husband on board with the 'no more clutter' idea yet but he's improving slowly. And we weaken too, if it's something special. But I'm doing much better. I can go into GW now and not buy a single thing. It doesn't even really hurt anymore either!

We apologized to the manager of our local GW earlier this summer when we donated sweaters. She laughed and said she had come to work just the day before and found people waiting at the door for her to open, shivering in their shorts and tee shirts. People come up here from the deep south (Georgia, in that case) not realizing how chilly our night time temps can get. They don't bring the right clothes, and don't want to pay a fortune for sweatshirts and stuff from the touristy shops. The manager said they sell tons of warm weather clothes all summer long. It sounded like that stuff moves just as fast as the summer clothes.

·
Registered
12,986 Posts
It sounded like that stuff moves just as fast as the summer clothes.
The gal checking me out about had a fit that I was BUYING SWEATERS (high 90's that day)............I think 'the heat' is the reason these were so cheap (under $2) cause I wasn't at a 'necessarily reasonable' TS.......and they didn't really know what sort of wool they were............that is great wool.........though very scratchy........but felts BEAUTIFULLY!!!

This darn sweater felting has sure added to my wardrobe!!! :laugh: Don't think it was SUPPOSED to do that!! Think I have added 3 or 4 and one wool shirt!!!
I keep telling myself that it is for my trip to Alaska!!!! :thud:

·
8,714 Posts
~That's great! I usually wait until just after Christmas to buy Winter tops at thrift stores. I knew several places that would discount all their sweaters and long sleeve tops to just $.99 each. In South NJ this is handy since it doesn't really get cold until January anyway. December is usually still jacket weather. Don't know if any stores will do that out here though since it's the mountains and almost jacket weather now in August. :O ~

·
Registered
5,605 Posts
Colanders work well for pushing the Spaetzle dough into the pot

Love Spaetzle easy and yummy.

Reactions: Spirit Deer

·
Registered
4,525 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well, I am pretty prepared as far as clothing is concerned. Waiting for the after school starts sales for underwear and bras. Then I should be done with stockpiling clothing!! Trying for a two year supply. Not 730 pairs of underwear. lol Just enought to hold me over for two years.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts