Frugal Village Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My DH was unemployed last year for a few months. He got a job (yeah!) around the middle of August but didn't get his first paycheck until Aug 20. He mis-understood the rules reguarding claiming unemployment does not go by when you get the first paycheck but when he earned hours. We are fully prepared to pay back the week unemployment he should not have been paid $277 after tax-realize it was an error and had no intention of defrauding the gov't. We have to write an explanation as to why what should we put? Should we go ahead and submit the check with the explanation? And will any actions be taken against him? (fees, interest, jail?) It was only one week and not hibitual.

(Please no haters, it was an honest mistake) Thanks

·
Registered
265 Posts
Of course it was just an honest mistake and I'm sure there won't be any lasting repercussions. I recommend calling the unemployment agency in your state first, to see what they recommend. Sending back the check (without calling), even with a letter of explanation, may cause further delays and confusion.

Kara

·
Registered
955 Posts
I don't know the laws in your state, so I can't provide advice per se.

However, in my mind, the question the unemployment office would have is why did it take so long to bring the error to light? Is this them contacting you or did you discover it on your own. There may end up being some interest and fees tacked on, but if it was only one week's pay, I can't imagine it would be a huge amount (but then, I don't really know about these things, honestly).

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.