Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm an advocate of keeping a budget.....I teach Personal Financial Planning. Here is something to consider: What is the trade off between eating food that is bad for you (high-fat meats, SPAM, hydrogenated oil, sugary cookies, etc) and the health-care costs that will impact your lives later?

If you have children, are they eating sugary drinks or fresh, organic fruit? I know we all can't afford to go 100% healthy and 100$ organic, but consider the cost of obesity and coronary artery disease the next time you buy cheap peanut butter with hydrogenated oils.

We should all read food labels and empower ouselves to make educated choices when pursuing a frugal lifestyle.

Just something to think about.

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
I've always said we will either pay for good health, or we'll pay for bad health...our choice. Many diseases are self-induced by poor lifestyle choices and a fork.

·
Registered
3,972 Posts
The kids eat things that aren't completely laden in sugar, fat, etc. I think that having a lower mortality rate at an early age and less medical complications while still alive far outweighs eating food that is bad for you. They say that you can exercise to help combat what you eat, but if all you're eating is Carl's Jr cheeseburgers and extra large chocolate milkshakes, then there's no amount of exercise that's going to override that sort of lifestyle.

You can find a healthy balance between eating less-than-appealing foods and staying in budget. While it does cost less up front for a cheap meal, you have to weigh in the medical risks of continuing to eat these foods.

·
Registered
3,849 Posts
The money that I don't spend on highly processed, sugary, fatty food can be applied to what is healthy. Natural, unprocessed foods don't have to cost an arm roast and a leg of lamb! Even canned veggies can be inexpensive and as healthy as what I might can at home. Cutting portion sizes, limiting meats, adding in more grains and vegetables can help to control the budget and be more healthy. While a healthy eating lifestyle is not a guarantee against medical problems, it certainly helps. And that helps to keep health costs lower. Those lower health care costs can be applied to the healthier food choices.

·
Registered
3,091 Posts
I agree with ForHisGlory that making healthier food choices is the better way to go for health in the long run and getting plenty of exercise each day will help medical rates go down. But not everyone wants to do that that's the sad thing they know that they should do it but it's another thing to do it! I've seen first hand that it's really for our benefit of better health.

·
Registered
258 Posts
I for one would rather...

pay for the healthy food now rather than the medical and dental bills later;)

Reactions: ValleyOfLotus

·
Registered
17,693 Posts
I know we all can't afford to go 100% healthy and 100$ organic....

I think one might argue that we can't afford NOT to do so. ;)

What always surprises me is seeing parents who are obviously unhappy with their weight and health sending their children down exactly the same path. I never understood how anyone could have an obese toddler, anymore than I could understand how anyone can have an obese pet. If you are responsible for the life of any creature, then sometimes you have to practice "do as I say and not as I do." What better gift to give a child than the gift of a good start in life?

·
Registered
362 Posts

What always surprises me is seeing parents who are obviously unhappy with their weight and health sending their children down exactly the same path. I never understood how anyone could have an obese toddler, anymore than I could understand how anyone can have an obese pet. If you are responsible for the life of any creature, then sometimes you have to practice "do as I say and not as I do." What better gift to give a child than the gift of a good start in life?
So true. Many people are looking for someone else to take responsibility for their lives, choices, actions. Where is true responsibility these days?

·
Registered
3,255 Posts

Nothing is sadder than seeing a toddler with the rolling gait of someone carrying far too much weight for the frame, not being able to bend over and pick something up that was dropped, or trying to run just a few feet and heaving for air. Very sad. Physically, mentally, emotionally and financially.I am so thankful my parents were health conscious. At almost 50 years old I have not one single health issue. I feel as fit as ever.I know it is exercise, healthy eating habits, and stress reduction techniques. Thank you Mom, for not allowing me to begin a love affair with Mr. Oreo. I am grateful now!

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
I so agree! It really can be a fine balance though, we do the best we can with 1 income to buy as much organic/whole foods but the budget doesn't always stretch far enough to cover everything. In those cases I have to make the smarter choices. Everything in moderation is our motto too!! :)

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
The idea that it's more expensive to eat healthy whole foods is a myth. I pay about $60 every two weeks for groceries for DH and me, including pantry stocking and cook 98% of our food from scratch.

I find that cooking healthy vegetarian meals from scratch is much less expensive than eating processed foods. It may be more time consuming and take more planning, but it's not more expensive.

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I've found that restaurant food doesn't taste good to me anymore. Too much fat, salt, and sugar. When I first started eating organic fruit, I was amazed at how much better it tasted than the fruit I had been buying in the grocery store.

I love vegetables now that I understand how to prepare them. I use various spices and I actually taste the vegetable....not some processed cheese or butter.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Ever since we moved to Cape Hatteras National Seashore (which does not have a fast food joint anywhere :) ) we have been eating healthy, saving money AND losing weight!

I stopped buying sodas, chips, and cookies. We have sandwiches rather than hamburgers. We rarely eat out anymore, and make delicious, home cooked meals.

We are definitely more healthy and happier.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts