Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
916 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, sorry I have been MIA lately. We have some news about our dd that I thought I would share.

We went in for an evaluation and Mickayla did miserably. She is very shy around strangers and she completly shut down on us. She would do some of the activity things, but none of the verbal things. So we scheduled another appointment.

On the second appointment she did better, but on the third she did good. She didn't talk as much as I know she can, but she scored very high on the fine motor skills. She isn't understanding the meaning of "Who, What, When, Why and How", only "Where". This is making her confused when we ask her questions. She does a lot of mimicing when she gets confused.

We did an IEP for her last week and she has been placed in a special preschool that will help her. She is going to work with a speech therapist as well.

We have ruled out autism at this point as her "autistic tendancies" can be chalked up as "normal" 3 year old behavior. Hopefully she will grow out of them. Most of her "autistic tendancies" are due to her being a shy kid and her inability to express herself (ie pulling away from strangers and becoming irratated when she can't express herself.) So we are hopeful she will overcome them.

Because her birthday is in early Sept she can't start Kindergarden until she is 6. This is great news as we hope to have her caught up by then. She will be 4 when she start preschool but we are putting her in with the 3 year olds as she will fit in better there. Next year she will move up with the 4 year olds and then go to Kindergarden the following year.

Anyway that is what has been going on. We have been working with her a lot trying to get her more verbal and I think we are making a bit of progress. She has been saying more 2-3 word phrases and sentences, so that is great. She has also been identifying more and more things on her own, without promting.

Christy

·
Registered
2,480 Posts
Good for her and good for you for hanging in there and working with her.....

Good luck to you and you dd!!!

·
Registered
4,379 Posts
I am glad that you were able to get her some help. Kids are amazing at overcoming obstacles and it sounds like you are doing all the right things to help her. She's lucky to have you. Hang in there.

·
Spendthrift Guru aka KarlaBob
1,479 Posts
Good for her, and good for you, its always best to trust your instints which you did and are getting her help early...Karla

·
Registered
15 Posts
I know it can seem overwhelming at first, dealing with all these issues, but I wanted to reassure you, as a parent dealing with this myself that early intervention can work wonders. My son at age 2, had 50 % delays in language and social areas. Now, at almost 5, after 2 years of EI, he's only showing about a 25% delays. He's grown so much. It's a lot of work, but as I'm sure you know, well worth it. :) My son is going into a regular preK this Aug as a trial for regular K next year. I never thought we'd be here.

I hope your successes are a wonderful as ours.

·
Registered
2 Posts
My DD has delays, too, but they seem to just be physical at this stage. She turned two in February, and is about 6 months delayed, with low muscle tone and has health problems related to the tone issues.
We're also involved with EI and physical therapy. Soon, we'll be in hippotherapy, wich is partly why I am answering your thread, not kowing what your DD's diagnosis is, if she has one. We're working onthat ourselves.
I've researched hippotherapy, and recommend it to anyone whose child has issues like your DD, sopmehow, it seems to help with cognitive skills as well as physical skills my DD lacks.
Hope you don't mind my unsolicited advice, but I am excited about going to this type of therapy, myself. :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts