Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
15,626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I am sad to report that Trudy isn't doing much with the babies since last night i think. She so far today has spent a great deal of time flipping them out of the doggie bed. She will nurse them only if i am right there making her lie still. she has taken them out to the dog run and tried burrying them. she has flipped them out of the dog bed and pulled the bed on top of them, and then went to sleep on the bed. I don't know what to do, if shes not doing these things to the babies, she is out in the dog run for hours, ignoring their cries. What do I do. I called the vet's office and only got a recording, to leave a name and number and I will be contacted on the next business day. blah, blah, blah. What do i do? I have tried to feed them with a puppy bottle but they aren't interested in it. :(

**edited to add, I have also caught her picking them up and shaking them. :eek: **

·
Registered
5,196 Posts
No advice other to try bottle feeding them yourself, or making her nurse them every so often until you get word from a professinal. I wonder if they are sick and she knows it. I do not know anything about animals, when Lori comes into the village she might know as she is very wise when it comes to animals, I will even call her and alert her to this thread. This is very sad and I dont know how to help you. Do you have a hymane society there? they might be able to offer you some advice.

·
Heather Bob
7,312 Posts
Aww, poor little things but sometimes the mothers do that. I was thinking along the lines of Robin, is there a number to call just to get information.

·
Registered
2,594 Posts
I was too thinking that they may be sick especially as you lost one already ~ she won't care for them if they are ill.

She could be an awful mother (I have experience of being an awful mother lol) My friend bred rabbits, different I know, but some just never took to motherhood.

I hand reared my dog from 3 weeks but I haven't done one younger - I would sit with her and make her nurse, get help ASAP (don't you have emergency vets where you are?) and if all else fails feed them with a dropper (you can almost force feed them with that) and make sure they pee (rub their bellies with damp cotton wool in a downward motion) They may not like the milk? Try goats milk mixed with water or baby formula.

Check out ASAP that they aren't sick anyway, watch the mother to make sure she doesn't kill them in the meantime.

I'd like to add I'm NO professional on the subject - that's just what I would try and what I've got out of books after hand rearing mine.

Good Luck with them - it would be such a shame if you lost them :( Keep us posted.

·
Registered
15,626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
two of the three have passed, and from what i think, the third won't be far behind. :( I tried to feed them with the puppy botle, but didn't have any luck. I tried to make her nurse and she snappped at them and wouldn't let them nurse at all. It is going downhill fast. The Humane society i was able to contact and they said that I was doing all that they could really hope for, as that they are so very young, that there wouldn't be all that much that they could do either. What a sad day. I am having her fixed immediately, as soon as we can get her an appointment. I am calling for one on Monday.

·
Registered
5,196 Posts
Sorry Melissa, they were probably sick before she refused. You did what you could. :(

·
Registered
2,594 Posts
I'm so sorry to hear this Melissa :cry:

You are doing your best for them and that's all you can do.

I agree that the puppies are probably ill anyway for her to be that way with them. :hugz:

·
Registered
12,790 Posts
Oh, I am so sorry Melissa. How sad for them to all pass away :weeping: . Here is a big :hug2: for you.

·
Registered
5,196 Posts
Melissa, how is the last little one?

·
27,948 Posts
I'm sorry Melissa. :hugz:

·
Registered
15,626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The last one died about an hour ago. I have them cleaned up and ready to be buried. I feel awful. I don't want to have any more puppies. It all started so well this week, I am devistated. Mom dog, Trudy, isn't even looking for them so I am assuming there was something wrong with them. :(

·
Registered
2,594 Posts
It's so sad Melissa :( You mustn't feel bad though, you did everything you could.

I'm sure they were sick anyway ~ Years ago our dog had 'a' puppy (the other's had died inside her and started to rot) she obviously fed that little one poison milk (which we didn't know at the time) and it too died - when my Dad buried it she tried to dig it up again! So I'm SURE for her not to care at all they really probably were going to die all along.

I'm so sorry this has happened :hugz: It's so sad for you. At least mum made it through the pregnancy alright. :angel2:

I'm thinking of you. xxxxxxxxx

·
Registered
3,122 Posts
I'm sorry to hear that they passed Melissa. You did all you could for them, I bet Trudy knew they were ill and that's why she wasn't caring for them.

Hugs,

Gina

·
Registered
5,196 Posts
Sorry Melissa, I was pulling for the last little one, but it just wasn't meant to be. Trudy probably knew best.

·
Premium Member
21,255 Posts
:( I'm sorry Melissa. This all must have been really hard on you. :hugz:

·
Registered
12,790 Posts
I am so sorry Melissa. :hug2:

·
Founder
19,054 Posts
This is so sad. What a terrible thing to have happen. :(
I hope you're feeling better today and know that you did what you could.

·
Registered
19,004 Posts
I am sorry Melissa. That is very sad.:(

1 - 20 of 25 Posts