Frugal Village Forums banner

Update Your Blog Challenge - 2012

15K views 238 replies 22 participants last post by  AmyBoz 
#1 ·
I think this went well for those of us who participated and I'm hoping we can continue strong this year!

I'm going to set my personal blogging goal at 5 times per week. I find that I'm most successful when I write a bunch of things at a time and save them in a word document, then post first thing in the morning. That way, even if I'm not completely inspired to write something, I have things saved from when I was inspired.

Also, one of my personal goals for 2012 is to take more pictures, so there may be some days when I just go with pictures for the blog. An entry is an entry, as far as I'm concerned, and hopefully, if I'm more consistent, it will attract more readers.

I'm looking into switching to a format that allows for ads, but I need to have a stronger, consistent readership in order to qualify. So, I also need to work on advertising it better, as well. I read and comment on other blogs and always post on Facebook when I've updated. Need to figure out other ways to advertise.

Anyway, I believe I've digressed a bit.

Hoping we get others to blog and join us in 2012! :clap:

See less See more
Reactions: nuisance26
#2 ·
Started out the challenge on the "write" foot! :toothy:

Published my first post of the New Year this morning. Have 3 more waiting for the next few days.

How are all of you doing?

#3 ·
~Well, I didn't even get halfway to my goal in 2011. My efforts were meager. But I somehow managed to garner the attention of allfreesewing and received a huge increase of reads and subscriptions from that encounter. Wordpress has been asking me daily since then if I want to buy my own domain. :rolleyes:
I haven't actually made any goals for this year yet. Just on the fly, I'll aim for 2 project posts per month plus 1 tutorial every other month. So that would be a minimum of 30 posts over the year. That sounds so pathetic. :crackup:
I also plan to use the scheduling feature to get all those posts in on my planned schedule before filling in with other stuff. So if I get to August and hit 30 posts, many will actually be scheduled drafts for later in the year. When I complete more posts after that I can publish at will because I have my scheduled ones in place. Year end bonus! :thumb:
Mostly I want to get posts scheduled though at least August by the end of May. With the move from June-August, I don't think I'll have time for sewing and blogging.~

#6 ·
Forget it...googled it and figured it out! Have my next two posts scheduled!!! :) Awesome!

#5 ·
I started off this morning blogging... yes, even before coffee. Maybe caffeine deprivation until completion is the incentive I need to get a posting done... then again, maybe not!

Reactions: AmyBoz
#8 ·
I used to blog here, but after the format got moved around, the blogs disappeared into the background, and I found myself forgetting to do so.

I am trying my very first ever "public" blog, so we'll see how it goes. My first post is pretty simple - baby steps. :)

Fluff and Feathers

#9 ·
Wow...after reading your blog, fluff and feathers is a COMPLETELY appropriate title for your blog, madhen! I look forward to reading more! :)

Reactions: madhen
#11 ·
Became a Member of your blog and put it in my favorites. I have always found your posts so very interesting and can't wait to follow you in the new year. The best of 2012 to you and all the animals.

#12 ·
I am in. my goal for 2012 is 5-7 posts a week.

I do best when I have everything about a week ahead of schedule.

I will work on getting things ahead today.

Reactions: AmyBoz
#13 ·
I thought I would toss mine in here too... I am HOPING for a daily entry, will be happy if I remember I even HAVE a blog this time next year, lol

My Blog - More Than Bon-Bons

#14 ·
Wow, Amy and Lady_V, your blogs are cool! I have a lot of designing to do before I am anywhere close to that sophisticated! :)

I didn't see a way to "subscribe" to your blog, Amy. Am I just missing it? (Lady_V, I subscribed to yours!)

#16 ·
Constance, I just went to the blog. When I was on the page, down in the lower, right-hand part of my screen was a button that said "Follow." I think it's the wordpress version of a subscription.

I use Google Reader to follow all the blogs I read (added both of yours, MadHen and V!). Then, I just login to my Google Reader page and every new post on every blog I read is posted there. SO easy. :) Constance, we need a link for yours!

#17 ·
~I use Google Reader too Amy. ;) I typed your blog into the subscribe tab at the reader because I didn't see the subscribe button on your page. I didn't even see "follow". Weird.
I love the reader. It removes the clutter of all the ads on some blogs so I can enjoy the actual content. :thumb:
I'm always happy to share my blog link so thanks for the interest. :sun:
Lately Reconstructed
I just don't want to spam everyone and be all "look at me!" so I try to keep my references to it to a minimum. :lol:
I seriously only keep my project blog for a few reasons: so that there is free information available about sewing on the cheap, so that I have a record of my artistic expressions and generally encouraging the world to recycle/upcycle and be creative with available free/low cost materials. It's like my own little library book on the web, free for all. It makes me so happy when something I posted makes someone want to create or recycle something! I love reading other such blogs as well.
I've had more than a few people tell me that I should be making money off of "my creativity" but I don't believe that. Everyone is creative. If I was going to charge someone for my work, it would have to be my best stuff, a 110% effort. My blog projects are my day to day 50% effort projects. That's my life. I'm too busy giving my family 110% to have any left over to sell to strangers. I don't want my life to be like those fluffy, sponsored craft blogs where they make endless fancy trimmed dresses for adorable little girls. That's would never reflect my values. I value utility and ingenuity and wait just a second, I'm running on like a nut. I should post this ramble at my blog! :crackup: ~

#18 ·
I have to say that the "schedule" function on Wordpress has changed my life! I feel so much better that I can write the post any time and have it post at 6 am on the morning I want to post it! Seriously...this is a godsend! :)

Constance, enjoyed your blog!

#20 ·
Nichole, My best tip is to just write what you know. I write about my kids, my random thoughts, stuff I watch on tv, games I play, etc. It's kinda all over the place, but it is what it is. I think you'd be successful as a blogger cuz you have a good way of saying things. You're funny, but smart and that's a good combination in a blog. :)

Reactions: McD
#21 ·
~What will your blog be about?
Why are you blogging?(social/creative outlet, to educate, to make money at it)
I know you're a busy person so deciding those things upfront will save you time later. Successful blogs are unified in their focus. Knowing whether this a hobby project or work project will help you plan how much time to put into it.
Other than that, just start. Spend some time every day writing, learning or upgrading. It's really not hard to have a nice looking blog.
Wordpress is really easy to use and free.
When you get 25-50 posts and you feel like your blog has something to really offer visitors, start visiting other blogs in your topic and post comments. Always link your blog in your comment. This will increase traffic on your page.
And always put tags on your posts. I was lazy and skipped this step for two years. After going back and adding tags to all my posts, my posts came up in internet searches and my traffic doubled almost overnight. The small things are important.~

#22 ·
Well, mine is "random", but mostly based on my alter-ego "Domestic Goddess" and is a mash-up of cooking, crafting, mom-ing. Basically, life.

Write about what you know and you will never be short for words

#27 ·
McD - its great - you've intro'ed your family which is nice but what's missing (and maybe its b/c we already kind of know you) are the family antics and funny stories you share :) Pics are great - can't wait to hear about the funnies that occur under your roof.

I've thought about the blogging thing and tried it a few years back...wasn't my thing then. Wondering if I should try it again?

BTW: Loved reading everyone's blog :) Can someone tell me more about this google reader thing? Id like to have all the blogs in one spot vs having to hop around the net if possible.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.