Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im not sure where to post this,but its about our income so here goes....dh had been injured on the job a few years ago had surgery then went back to work and reinjured himself doing the same job against advice of most everyone......he hasnt been back to his job in a year has been on workmans comp for three checks(they were transitioning him we thought) and getting padi by the school his base salary....the school contacted us and said we were not supposed to have been paid since may and now owe 4000 dollars in overpayment tho comp didnt kick in til last month.....this is a real slap in the face, also our insurance has been cut.....now we live on 200 every two weeks....how do we get by til he gets a new job? we dont even know if he can look for a new job...this is a real pickle....DH will go to school through vesid(he is legally partially disabled now)maybe we can look into SSI or SSD but he really needs to get back to work.He has only worked in manual labor positions and now isnt supposed to lift so Im not sure what he'll do, has thought of the bus company or MTA....I am on WIC for the children,I am not working presently(he dosent want me to get a job-I am also bipolar and cant hold down a job, but have been stable for 7 years)sorry this is going all over the place,a lot on my mind!!I know we'll be ok mom and dad we still live with them and they help us....I hate asking for anything tho.we want to buy a house but have 8000 cc debt and a 15000 car loan to pay back and no income for it.I feel pretty calm about the whole thing-now..the children need diapers and such,we have about two dollars for the week.No savings to speak of and a small IRA...Have to go now Kira needs me thanks for the Venting forum...

Patty

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
Post an ad on criagslist or freecycle that you are looking for cloth diapers. Just doing that will save you $$ each month. Try potty training the oldest one.
I babysat a young girl a few years ago that was getting potty trained. Her mother did not use pull ups. She bought the cheapest maxi pads and put them in the girls underwear and made her own pull ups. Lots cheaper and the child did not know the difference.
Can you find a work from home job. Or maybe do housecleaning. Do someones laundry that hates to do it. You need to get some sort of income.

Things will get better you just to have faith and work hard and you will get there.

·
Registered
52 Posts
My friend, you *urgently need* an attorney on workers' compensation matter RIGHT AWAY. My husband is medically retired from an on-the-job injury. If your husband has been disabled due to his work injury (and not able to return per the Dr.), the compensation is OWED. They are trying to mess with you because they think they can. Don't stand for it for one moment. Go first thing in the morning and retain an attorney.

·
Registered
1,958 Posts
barky586 just read my mind! Get an Attorney Pronto!

Also go sign up for food stamps and a medical card.
Pay the minimum on the credit card and do not charge anymore.

Domestic Gal had great ideas on the cloth diapers and pullups.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks very much for the suggestions and support!we actually have a lawyer-have been trying to find a good one for civil service discrimination, for some reason we're having a difficult time finding one who will take his case....we have a comp lawyer who has done next to nothing for him....I think I will try to do something from home I am losing my mind!!! and he wont support my getting a part time job,because of my track record but its getting serious now.cloth diapers sounds like a great idea,tho DH wont support that either I dont think Im working on potty training Kira, so far shes shown a new interest in it..I have faith that everything will be ok, the worst is over, the waiting and the fear of surgery and such,its been difficult tho and if he dosent get back to work soon Im going to lose my mind!!!! It just isnt natural for us all to be home this way....I think Im going to go out and get a part time retail job im damned if I do and damned if I dont....baby is up thx again!!

Patty

·
Registered
9,412 Posts
Getting a part time job might help the situation but you have to stick with it. Also, your DH has collected WC before so maybe they are hesitant but in your first post you said his WC kicked in a month ago, but they arent giving it to you? I say try for foodstamps and medicaid and since you already have wic that's a plus. Yes, also check into getting disability for him if he is considered legally partially disabled through the Dr. and state.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanks everyone-

DH called comp this morning-they told him he can look for another job just to notify them when he has one, now he is working on a resume for both VESID and prospective employers......hopefully by the weeks end he'll have found something.as it stands if he will be working and going to school it probably dosent make sense for me to work, especially since I havent in over three years and the children are young.I just want results *yesterday* I can be on the impatient side....It looks like the road ahead may guide us to where we want to be,keep fingers crossed that he finds the best job for the time being....again thank you all so much

Patty

·
Registered
713 Posts
Well, on the bright side you are with your parents so you have a place to live and food to eat. I'd check out food banks to give your parents some food to go toward what you consume. I don't understand this "my husband won't support it." What does he need to support. The children need diapers, cloth is a good option. You need money, so if you can find a babysitter (hopefully your mom?) try getting a part time job. I understand needing to keep harmony but sometimes people need to wake up.

·
Registered
10,774 Posts
I don't understand this "my husband won't support it." What does he need to support. The children need diapers, cloth is a good option. You need money, so if you can find a babysitter (hopefully your mom?) try getting a part time job. I understand needing to keep harmony but sometimes people need to wake up.

Ditto. I w ould think with the need, he would appreciate any effort.

·
Registered
3,355 Posts
Well, on the bright side you are with your parents so you have a place to live and food to eat. I'd check out food banks to give your parents some food to go toward what you consume. I don't understand this "my husband won't support it." What does he need to support. The children need diapers, cloth is a good option. You need money, so if you can find a babysitter (hopefully your mom?) try getting a part time job. I understand needing to keep harmony but sometimes people need to wake up.
I was thinking the same thing. What do you mean your husband wont suport it?

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I put out a couple applications and had an interview at applebees-they arent interested in my help, its been too long since ive waitressed and I guess I just didnt impress the girl interviewing me.....trying for FT at barnes and nobles we'll see....j is going to school come fall so Ill work around his schedule he was actually talking about working full time and going to school....Im not sure what i think of that except he needs to focus on the schooling and he hasnt been to college yet...we are just so frustrated by the entire past three years....

Patty

1 - 12 of 12 Posts