Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Unix Ninja
3,209 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you notice some weird behavior on the forums let me know.
I might need to tweak some settings.
This should improve some performance on the server.

·
Registered
8,566 Posts
Yeah, this is wierd - the server still isn't properly declaring me Lord and Master of the Universe. You need to fix that bug, Gabe! ;)

·
Unix Ninja
3,209 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
By the power of Greyskull. ;)

·
Unix Ninja
3,209 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
MySql not upgraded yet... Will do this today!
But PHP is.

·
Unix Ninja
3,209 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
We had a little glitch in the forums this morning.
This was because of a compatibility issue with the new version of MySql. All is fixed now. Sorry for the downtime!

·
Registered
8,566 Posts

·
Registered
9,412 Posts
Glad it's fixed, I too was having major withdrawals... I couldnt stand it :)

·
27,948 Posts
Bet I'm not the only one who got some cleaning done. :dusting:

·
Registered
8,566 Posts

·
Unix Ninja
3,209 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The good news is that this major upgrade will provide added sustainability for the website in the long run. This outage was a small price to pay for the overall benefit it provides. We need to be frugal with the server. Meaning we can't at this time make any major investment to upgrade or host the server on its own right now because we are lacking the resources.

Last year in December, I was planning on purchasing a new dedicated server for frugalvillage.com and was in the process of moving it. Two days later at work they announced that they were eliminating my role at the company. I have not said anything about this because I was hoping to find another job without needing any help.

The "funny" thing about this is that they implemented these transformation changes following a pilot project I initiated, led, championed for 3 years at the company. I worked several hours per week over 60. Needless to say I received the short end of the stick.

I take this as a learning experience and I am grateful for Sara putting up with me working late for this company.

This is why we are asking for donations at the top, thank you to everyone that has contributed and plans on contributing. It was a very hard decision for us to do.

-We upgraded the kernel of the CentOS a few weeks ago
-We upgraded MySQL and PHP this week.

·
27,948 Posts
I know it's been a crazy ride you never wanted to go on. Big hug Gabe and I'm in your corner.
You guys are awesome & I'll continue to support you anyway I can. :friends:

·
Technical Support Sleuth
6,481 Posts
Oh Gabe, You know we really really do appreciate all that you and Sara do to keep this place running, right?

CUZ WE DO!!!

·
Unix Ninja
3,209 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Installed PHP eaccelerator. This should increase the server response. It was slow as a turtle yesterday!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts