Frugal Village Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know many are probably feeling the budget pressure due to rising costs.
Let see how much of what we have that we can use instead of buy at the grocery store.

My pantry and freezer are busting at the seams.
This weeks menu will use up a package of chicken leg quarters, rice and pasta from the pantry, veggies from my garden, a jar of fettichini sauce, and a package of shrimp that I traded for tomatoes.

·
Registered
970 Posts
Based on my menu plans for this week I’ll be using up:

2 lbs ground beef, package of frozen hamburger buns, four mini corn on the cobs,8 slices of cheese

Four bagels, four slices of cheese, four eggs, 8 slices of bacon, bag of frozen hash browns

potatoes (milk and butter) for mashed potatoes, whole kernel corn and a lb of ground beef and two packages of brown gravy

reading this I realize I’ve basically repeated two of my items with just minor changes, shepherds pie and burgers with mini ears of corn. Lol. I didn’t even realize that! Dh has been wanting shepherdspie plus he wanted me to grill “something” so burgers it is. Whoops!

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
yes ! have lots of food and since spent a lot lately on wants...need to eat from pantry etc. only need dh coffee. a store I went too yesterday had my coffee on good sale so got more. so lots of options for meals.

still have the chicken soup I made the other day plus yesterday.. nugget potatoes, bbq veggies and smokies so no cooking. plenty of ice cream etc for treats.

·
Registered
196 Posts
I have so much food! Freezers are bursting and so many dry goods too. I'm using up one of my EveryPlate meals I got free. Next is to try to get through what's meeting or has already met its expiration date. I think that's some frozen veggie burgers which will go nicely with a few slices of tomato I have left from the EveryPlate meal. I want to get through some frozen bananas I keep for protein smoothies. I'll try to remember to come back and post what I ate this week.

·
Registered
196 Posts
In an effort to make room for more stuff (😆), I organized my pantry last night. My pantry is a smallish double door cabinet. Food was jammed in every empty space. I cleaned out and organized the hutch and moved some stuff from the pantry there. Organized a few overflow food things on the small bookshelf. Then tackled the Big Momma. I took almost every thing out and organized by like items and expiration date. I'm pretty happy with the results. I made a master list of pantry items a month or so ago that I've added to every time I shop but couldn't find some things because of the disorganization.

I should have taken before/after pics but I didn't. Oh well. I know the difference it made so that's enough for me. I am including a picture of the cabinet post organization just for fun. I have food stored other places as well so this isn't everything. Random items on top of the cabinet (except chips) are items that are expiring soon or are already expired and need to be used soon.
Food Food storage Furniture Shelf Bottle

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
nice! since my cupboards and freezer is stuffed... but still hot to turn on oven.. getting creative.. so besides hotdogs.. family loves them... and reg stuff ramen kd cups etc. getting more csa veggies tonight.

used up frozen burgers, hotdogs, buns. veggie bin clean out ..good zucchini and bad... lettuce gone. carrots, onions etc used up. frozen overdone steak from freezer w frozen onions, canned mushrooms in crockpot for strognaff. box of pasta used up too. frozen juice. cake.

·
Registered
196 Posts
You used up a bunch of stuff, Marthamfi! That's great!

I used up some frozen banana chunks and finished off (finally) the half gallon of Next Milk that's been open in the fridge entirely too long.

·
Registered
11,321 Posts
In situations like that I look and see what can be frozen for later. I've got half a slab of corned beef we had earlier this week, that's going in the freezer for later. I got some english muffins so DH could make Eggs Benedict, forgetting that we have to go out early Sunday, so they're going in the freezer. And there's half a lb of raw gr beef left from making burgers that needs to get frozen too so it isn't wasted.

We're taking a week vacation in just over 2 weeks, so I'm looking to use up all the odds and ends over the next 16 days and limit shopping.

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
lol milk goes fast here but no one really needs it and the kids don't want to walk a few blocks and get it so I stopped putting myself out getting it. got it yesterday and dh was yeah! lol (he is not the one who drinks it all in a day or so) have creamo for coffee which is the important part! yes you can tell a button to push w me.

between reg shopping stuff and csa veggies.. .. picked up ham and sausage cheap...got some half price stuff more ramen lol canned cat food pringle snack cups for ds.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Finished off a Bird's Eye Voila Skillet meal tonight. I noticed my unopened half gallon of Silk Nextmilk had a best buy date of 7/31/22. Sigh. Trying to get through it this week.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts