Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Right now I am focusing on not spending $$$ right now except for bills and groceries (minus a tiny personal allotment each payday). Trying to be more of a non-shopper and being content with what I have.

So, how are you:

1) Using it up

2) Wearing it out

3) Making do

4) Going without

·
Registered
9,412 Posts
I've been doing that for so long it's actually a habit to see how long I can go without buying something even if it's milk or bread, lol. We cant afford to give ourselves a personal allotment but I love diet pepsi so I guess that counts, :)

·
Registered
301 Posts
1) Using it up
My mother-in-law recently cleaned out her bathroom closet... which contained a lot of shampoos, moisturizers, bath salts, things like that. She found a type of skin care system from Avon that she absolutely loves so she got rid of everything else. I got them all. I have very oily skin so I have to use a certain kind of moisturizer on my face - but she has very dry skin so most of the stuff she gave me I can't use on my face. So instead of throwing them away I use them on my body after I get out of the shower/shave my legs/whatever. I'm sure I look quite pompous using an expensive Oil of Olay face cream on my knees and elbows.

3) Making do
I shredded my Kohl's card. I wear what I have. In fact, I've limited myself to 2 pairs of jeans and one pair of dress slacks with a handful of shirts that make up my regualar wardrobe. I'm not buying anything new until I completely lose the weight from the baby. I don't care how many notches I have to cut into the belt (to get the pants to stay up), I'll wear my maternity lounging pants until I reach my goal, if I have to.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I will add some of mine:

1) Using up: Not buying anymore HBA stuff, cleaners or paper goods (have enough, especially things like bars of soap).

2) Wearing it out: Wearing shoes/sandals/sneakers that I have had over 3 years now, no plans to buy new ones.

3) Making do: Making meals out of what I have - no need to grocery shop this week and hopefully next week too.

4) Going without: Plan to go without paper goods once I am done with the stash that I have and going all-cloth except for t.p.

·
Moderator aka AmyBob
12,040 Posts
As Tracy said, this is a way of life around here. On the outside, we probably look like we have quite a bit. However, if people knew the behind the scenes, they'd be surprised.

Use it Up: We are people who cut open the toothpaste tube, add water to the dishsoap, etc. Nothing gets thrown away until every last bit of it has been used.

Wear it Out: Same principal applies here. My clothes are clothes that I have had for at least ten years. My jeans are hand-me-overs from my sister-in-law, and just yesterday, I was so upset when one of the knees finally ripped open. So, these will be around the house jeans, until the pant leg actually falls off. We wear shoes until our toes show through, and we sew up the holdes in clothes until they can't be sewn anymore.

Make Do: I'm currently going through a period of using up everything we have in the house before buying new for meals. I've gotten the family on board with egg and cheese omelette night, which has added an extra night to my meal plan. I'm using everything I can in the pantry and out of the freezer (with the exception of dh running to the store last night for more popcorn) and am baking and using up what we have.

Go Without: We don't get the lastest, greatest of anything. We use what we have and use it well. We don't try to keep up with the Jones's and are happier for it. We've always been this way and the result is that we've raised kids who don't have the "gimmees".

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Thanks for sharing. I feel the same too. I find often that a lot of people think it's frugal to keep buying and buying - because something is such a great deal (& to me that includes yard sales & thrift stores). No flames, please! I have learned personally even through the years though that I can bargain shop all I'd like but it's not really a bargain if I really and truly don't need something. I think many of us have homes (contents) that are proof of that. And then we find we need to declutter because even the bargains are all piled up.

I find it SO much easier if I just stay away from the stores, thrift shops, and yes, even yard sales - if I see, I want, and often will buy (because it's just soooooo cheap, KWIM?) This is just my thoughts & not all may agree. I find when I get myself into a content mindset & realize all that I do have (& we live very modestly here too) I do so much better.

Amy, a thought, but how about making shorts out of those jeans? Or could they be patched to look kind of cute & designer-like?

·
Registered
442 Posts
Love this thread!

I've recently been going through an attack of conscience over how much waste my family produces. The amount of plastic we throw away nauseates me!

So, I'm on-board completely with the use it up, wear it out, make do theme.

Thanks for the motivation!

·
Premium Member
3,714 Posts
What? You mean not everyone rinses out the dish soap or the shampoo/conditioner etc.... one more time with water to get the last bit out?!?!? It really is just a way of life....but the motivation is always great to have.....I tend to not be very good with "wearing it out" I tend to get tired of things.....
Have a great nite!

·
Technical Support Sleuth
6,481 Posts
1) Using it up---I am using leftovers to make the next meal---gasp! I made tacos last night and I had leftover tortillas, so tonight I diced up onions and browned it with one chicken breast, used one can of nacho cheese soup and mixed in some salsa, threw it in the tortillas and made quesadillas. Then tomorrow, I will use the other chicken breast out of the package to make kung pao chicken. This is a new concept for me.

2) Wearing it out---My bath towels don't match the wallpaper in my bathroom. However, rather than getting rid of them for all new ones, I am making do until they are holey.

3) Making do--DS's getting really low on pants that fit and sleepers, will not buy more for full price b/c on Friday I am attending a huge yardsale hosted by 50 moms of multiples. We've been holding out for a month.

4) Going without--My eyesight is slowly getting worse and I want contacts. I'm trying to wait until I absolutely have to.

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
Using it up-

I'm using up all of my deodorant and lotion samples instead of buying another full-sized one.

Wearing it out-

Oh my you oughtta see my 6 pair of black work socks. Holey-er than swiss cheese! I really need to buy more but summer's almost here so I'll wait til fall to replace them. Let's not even get started about my underwear :D

Making do-

We overspent a bit this weekend on our trip away so to make up for it I haven't gone grocery shopping this week and we're eating whatever I can scrounge up from the fridge, freezer and cupboards. I don't have a big stockpile because its just me and DH.

Doing without-

I haven't bought any clothes or shoes in over a year. All last year I was doing without alot to pay off CC's. But that's changing very soon, I truly do need new clothes, especially work clothes and shoes. They're wearing out.

·
Licence to Kill
3,479 Posts
This is a great thread! Lots of inspiration here! :)

We've been avoiding the stores almost completely...when we do go it's with the bare minimum list and we get in and out as quick as possible! We've got quite a good stock of bar soap, lotions, trial sizes, and freebies of stuff. We're not buying any more of ANY of that until we've used all those little goodies up. (Am still putting in for freebies online, though...).

We're trying to just use up everything in our pantry, cupboards, freezer rather than buying more stuff at the store. We've developed quite a stockpile and since we're planning a move next year we figured we'd just totally use it up and then buy only what we need until move time (easier this way) and we get to send the extra $$ to debts so less interest in the long run.

We are blessed with friends and family who give their extras to us (groceries) and that also helps s-t-r-e-t-c-h the food budget.

I just rearranged our area (think studio apt, but smaller - a teeny mother-in-law apt) so that instead of two overhead lights with 4 bulb slots each filled with lights we're only using one of the overhead lights (pulled the bulbs out of the other so we don't "accidently" use it). ;) So, that should be a good savings in electricity.

We're having a yard sale next month to pull in some extra $$ to send to bills. Hoping to pull in a couple hundred bucks.

A friend gave me a whole bunch of yarn (the kind to make dishcloths) so I will make a bunch of those to give as Christmas gifts... And am saving jars to put "goodies" in to go along with the dishcloths. :) We should be able to have an almost non-existent Christmas bill.

We've gathered a whole bunch of books to take to the used book store for trade-in credit. We'll give book credit to Dh's mom for Christmas (she looooooves to read). :)

Still doin' the usual...add water to the soap (dish and hand), using up extras, using leftovers for work lunches or to combine with little else for another supper, etc. All in all...good progress.

Couldn't do it without the motivation from you ladies! :D

·
Registered
1,868 Posts
1) Using it up
Using up all the different types of make-up, moisturizer, toothpaste, etc. I have. Also trying to use up those foods in my cupboard I bought back in summer on my elimination diet.

2) Wearing it out
Certainly wearing out the jeans I wear all the time! I sewed up all my holy socks this winter too.

3) Making do
I'm not getting Photoshop CS2 to replace my 7 even though it has features that I could really appreciate as a photographer ...

4) Going without
Once they run out I'm going without traditional cleaning products, and products that can be replaced by better alternatives (mouthwash).

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
using it up

I havnt bought shampoo, shower gel, moisturiser or beauty items for ages, I have been using smaples and the supply I have, will not buy anymore till its all used up!

same with leftovers, everything is used up!

wearing it out

Same as most people I am wearing out my clothes and shoes before buying anything, luckily I have a SIL who throws clothes out all the time - even brand new with tags!, as I am starting to wear maternity now I have been lucky that a friend gave me a bag of mat trousers and capris that will see me through without having to buy much at all

·
Registered
590 Posts
Thanks for sharing. I feel the same too. I find often that a lot of people think it's frugal to keep buying and buying - because something is such a great deal (& to me that includes yard sales & thrift stores). No flames, please! I have learned personally even through the years though that I can bargain shop all I'd like but it's not really a bargain if I really and truly don't need something. I think many of us have homes (contents) that are proof of that. And then we find we need to declutter because even the bargains are all piled up.

I find it SO much easier if I just stay away from the stores, thrift shops, and yes, even yard sales - if I see, I want, and often will buy (because it's just soooooo cheap, KWIM?) This is just my thoughts & not all may agree. I find when I get myself into a content mindset & realize all that I do have (& we live very modestly here too) I do so much better.
:yeah:

100% Agreed...

·
Registered
2,456 Posts
I don't purchase a lot of clothing, so I just keep wearing what I have. I only own a few pairs of shoes, so I keep wearing them until they are gone. I only three pair of dress shoes, two are very old, but can still be worn, another is a cheap pair from WM. The last dresses I bought, came from the thrift store.

I try to make do when it comes to cooking. Instead of running to the store for an ingredient I thought I had, but didn't, I use something else. Surprising how well that works out. No one really knows the difference anyway.

I've been doing really well, not buying things just because I want them, or they are a good deal.

I don't have a car that is considered "mine", so I don't go out as often. I usually only get out once a week. That has really helped me cut down on spending. I do have cars available to drive, but I just don't want to drive them. I can't believe how happy I've become just staying home ALL the time now. It used to drive me crazy. I used to think I had to go everyday. Now I'm happy just staying home.

·
8,714 Posts
Well, this week...

1) Using it up
Eating up as much as possible out of my fridges and freezers to make lots of room for my new upright freezer that's being delivered tomorrow! AND combining the last 1/8 of lotion from 6 different lotions into one bottle.

2) Wearing it out
I have at least 10 pairs of socks with huge holes in 'em. Like a previous poster said, I'll wait until fall. They'll probably just disintegrate one day while I'm wearing them.

3) Making do
I've lived in this house 6.5 years and I detest the pink carpet. And the forest green paint and tile in the bathroom. But until we can afford laminate or hardwood and a bathroom renovation I'll make do.

4) Going without
VACATION!!!! I really want to get on a plane or boat and go somewhere beautiful. We have money to do that but I'm committed to at least pay off the car loan before we "waste" so much money on fun.

·
Registered
8,935 Posts
1) Using it up - I too water down my stuff - soaps, shampoo's and use up all my lotions, potions and toothpaste until I need to open another one from my stockpile.

2) Wearing it out - I have clothes that are WAY too big and small for me. Its all I have in terms of work clothes and I wont buy new until I NEED to. I may look a bit frumpy but its not my looks that get my job done. I have holey socks and worn out shoes but I refuse to let go. They are NOT dead to me yet.

3) Making do - I use what I have in the house. I dont buy anything unless I absoloutely need to. Gifts dont count but I try to shop from home first as I am trying to purge. I have stockpiles of things I need to deplete. I am making do with no new things.

4) Going without - I dont need the latest and greatest......as someone else has already stated in this thread....I dont need to keep up with the Jones' and Im very proud of that fact! Id definately like to go w/o eating out but thats hard to do right now.

Its just hard to keep the pennies in the lil piggy bank where they belong. But every penny saved does add up!

·
Registered
263 Posts
I love that saying. I first saw it embroidered on a panel at a living history farm we visited.

Use it up - this week I am trying a new experiment. I have a bottle of make up that is done but I am going to stretch it. I have dry skin so I am going to put a few drops of baby oil in it and shake it up. Then I may get another week out of it. I put some water in conditioner bottles and get excellent results. I also put a bit of milk in ranch dressing bottles that are "done" and get a few more servings of dressing.

Make it do - I am trying not to shop for clothes except at garage sales. I am also going through a stain removing kick so I can keep wearing things.

Do without - we really need another computer but I don't want to pay for one. So we are using the laptop and making do with this.

Wear it out - hmmm. Don't know about this one.

·
Registered
1,792 Posts
I love this thread. We just moved into a new house, so before we left our old one, we ate what we had in the fridge. I ate (almost single-handedly) a 12 pack of English muffins in the last week. I'm not proud, but it's what was there. Morning, noon, and night. If I never see one again it will be too soon. I'll probably always associate English muffins with our move.

I also un-earthed a lot of "stuff" that I'll be using--lotions, shampoos, etc.

Go without--seems frivolous, but I want basket-type tissue box covers. I don't know why....I've never had a tissue box cover in my life. Now I want three of them. I'm going to go without until I can find them at yard sales or Goodwill.

Make do--my towels are horrendous looking, but they will still soak up water so I'll keep 'em.

·
Registered
16,430 Posts
1) Using it up - I'm on a permanent grocery exile. I only buy perishables once a week. I'm using up leftovers before they go bad. I have a ton of cleaning supplies the kids left behind when they moved out, and some from Mom's place. I'm using those up. Also the kitchen stuff - plastic bags, garbage bags, tin foil (for a year!), wax paper, etc.

2) Wearing it out - I always buy secondhand clothes, and I just got a bunch of hand-me-downs from my Mom. I'm set for a good long time now.

3) Making do - I prefer to get creative before buying something. I'm setting up a basement guest bedroom to double as a retreat/writing centre. In order to set it up I went around the house and through Mom's stuff to come up with the necessary furniture and accessories to decorate. Didn't have to spend a cent! Even DH thinks it's nice and cozy.

4) Going without - We don't have a sofa currently. But we're living without until all our other expenses are covered. I need airfare for two to the Maritimes, and to pay the moving costs for moving Mom's stuff here. That'll be a $3000 touch in one month. Thank goodness for Emergency Funds! A sofa can wait. We're enjoying our love seat and Mission oak chair instead.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts