Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,479 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It occurred to me that I hadn't seen a use this instead of that thread here, and I thought we could use one.

Instead of

chicken breast

use

chicken thigh
(The cheapest way I know to buy chicken thighs are to buy chicken leg quarters and separate them from the drumstick yourself. Added bonus, you have all the drumsticks! Drumsticks used to be sought after because of the amount of meat on them!)

Instead of

cat litter

use

oil dry
(Clay granules from an autoparts store.)

Judi

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
instead of
milk
use
water

(please dont hit...)

·
Registered
945 Posts
instead of an egg

use 1T baking soda + 1T vinegar for baking

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
LOL! I do this because I don't like milk. I sub water for every recipe (except maybe alfredo sauce) and no one can tell the difference!
now we all know your secret :laugh:

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
instead of
milk
use
water

(please dont hit...)
I've used water for milk, and have also used homemade rice or almond milk instead of cow's milk.

I've also used water to saute onions, instead of fat; and I've used water instead of some form of alcohol called for in a recipe.

I've used several different substitutes for eggs:
-flaxmeal powder (2-T. = 1 egg)

-flax "goop" (Boil 1 T. flax seed in 1 cup water for 15-minutes. It will cook down to 1/2-3/4-cup. Cool, and add to baked goods, substituting for part of the liquid ingredients. This mixture can be kept in the refrigerator for a few days.

-2 T. potato starch = 1 egg

·
Registered
906 Posts
instead of
milk
use
water

(please dont hit...)
No hits from here. I've cooked for milk allergies 20ish years. This is one of the first things I learned. A professional cookbook I was given stated that the purpose of milk in recipes (mostly baked but some others) is for the liquid content and a touch of fat. That is assuming you used whole milk. Most people don't use whole now and are used to the texture given by the lower fat milks so the sub of water is not going to be noticeable to them at all.

Now if you have a white/yellow boxed cake mix calling for milk you can also sub orange juice. It gives it a wonderful taste.

Reactions: MomK

·
Registered
3,479 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I've also used water to saute onions, instead of fat; and I've used water instead of some form of alcohol called for in a recipe.
I do that too, forgot about it!
I've used several different substitutes for eggs:
-flaxmeal powder (2-T. = 1 egg)

-flax "goop" (Boil 1 T. flax seed in 1 cup water for 15-minutes. It will cook down to 1/2-3/4-cup. Cool, and add to baked goods, substituting for part of the liquid ingredients. This mixture can be kept in the refrigerator for a few days.

-2 T. potato starch = 1 egg
Not Bob's Red Mill egg substitute or soy flour? That's what I use!

Judi

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
Not Bob's Red Mill egg substitute or soy flour? That's what I use!

Judi
I'm in the camp of those who don't consider soy safe for human consumption - unless the product made with soy also uses the traditional long fermentation method. I put soy on the "must-avoid" list with high-fructose corn syrup. Soy is one of the most highly-processed foods on the market today, and it's processed with toxic chemicals - so much for "natural".

Yes, soy flour (as well as tofu - 1/4 c. soft tofu or 1/4 c. soy milk = 1 egg) will work as an egg substitute, although I've never used it.

For more information on the dangers of soy: http://www.soyonlineservice.co.nz/

Or the book: The Whole Soy Story - by Kaayla T. Daniel, PhD, CCN

Bob's Red Mill Egg Substitute is made from soy (and wheat), so I would also avoid using it.

Ener-G Egg Replacer is made from potato starch and tapioca flour. I keep those ingredients on hand for making gluten-free baked goods, so I could also use them as an egg replacer, in a pinch.

2 T. potato starch = 1 egg

Tapioca flour = 1 T. per 1 c. of flour in the recipe = 1 egg

I've also used Xanthan Gum (another ingredient I use for gluten-free baking) for egg whites: 1 egg white = 1/4 t. Xanthan Gum with 1/4 c. water. Let stand. When thickened this mixture can be whipped and used as an egg white.

When shell eggs are higher per egg than whole powdered eggs, I'll use powdered eggs for cooking and baking (as well as powdered egg whites or powdered egg yolks).

1 - 9 of 9 Posts