Frugal Village Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
17,693 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I couldn't wait any longer, so I tested out the soap yesterday with the little oddball piece that I had left. It lathered very nicely, and there was something very satisfying about using soap that I know I made. The only thing I would change is I might adjust the fragrance oil level. The soap smelled like soap, which is fine, but I wonder why I bothered to add fragrance oil in the first place. I may try it without fragrance oil next time, or go get something I really like, perhaps lavender or orange, and play with that.

My skin felt very moisturized afterward - didn't have to bother with lotion - and it smelled very clean (with just a trace of that soap smell, which was kind of nice).

So, I suppose I can finally say that my soap-making experience was a success! Off to make another batch!! :D

·
Registered
2,051 Posts
That's so awesome. :congrats: on your soapmaking!

·
4,028 Posts
Way cool and well done.

·
Registered
4,367 Posts
I forgot to check back here, madhen! I'm so glad your soap worked well. :applause: I know--it seems to take a heck of a lot of fragrance/or/essential oils to make it smell like anything. I'm always afraid of adding too much!

I am planning to do some more soap when I get back to Ohio. To give out as Christmas presents. I want to try a new kind or two, but am afraid I won't like them as well as my tried and trues.

·
Registered
17,693 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I am so proud of it, I plan on packaging some of it up as stocking stuffers. I may have to be dragged kicking and screaming into the commercialized Christmas my family wants, but they're getting homemade stocking stuffers, whether they want them or not!!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Congrats! The fragrance you added, did you let the soap cool some before you added the fragrance. Some fragrance has a high flash point. If the soap is too hot when you add the fragrance, it will evaporate before it dries in mold.

Pam

·
Registered
2 Posts
The general rule for fragrance is 1oz. per pound of oils, if using fragrance oils. Essentail oils are 1/2oz per pound of oils. HTH:bfly:

·
Registered
382 Posts
Glad your soap making worked out well. That's one time you want your project to be all washed up!

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
congrats on your soapmaking. I wish I had extra time on my hands to make things homemade...I get very jealous of those that make things for themselves (other than dinners and so forth)

·
Registered
1,946 Posts
I just saw this Congrats on the soap . Great job!!! I love making soap. I know what you mean about wanting to try it and then planning your next batch right away....lol Can't wait to hear about your next one.

·
Registered
17,693 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
For this particular batch, I used a kit, so everything was pre-measured. I do recall letting the soap get to a certain temp before adding the fragrance. Don't recall what it was, but I had to wait a while!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts