Frugal Village Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8,935 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have 6-8 med/lg tomatoes that are too soft to be eaten in a salad or sammy but don't want to toss them either. Should I dice them up and use them in soup?

Care to share your other uses for almost spoiled tomatoes?

·
Registered
11,016 Posts
Soup would work. Or sauce. You have enough to make roasted tomato sauce. Put some olive oil in a baking dish, lay halved (seeded if you like) tomatoes face up. Sprinkle with salt and pepper, a little crushed garlic and chopped onion if you like that. Drizzle with a little more oil. Bake at 400 for 30-40 minutes, or until cooked through and carmelized. Watch them so they don't burn.

They will cook down to 1-2 servings of rich "sauce" you can use on pasta.

Or you could cut them in half and put them in a very low oven over night until dried. I usually just heat the oven for 5 minutes or so and then shut the heat off and put the tomatoes in.

Reactions: Libby and Paws

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
Wash, slice or dice and make fajitas...tacos...burritos...enchiladas..nachos...soups/stews...stir fry's...can even use in fritatas or omletes...use in spaghetti sauce to make it chunky or use to make spaghetti, pizza, lasagna, or ziti sauce...or do as someone else posted, blanch and freeze for future use. Can also dice and cook in meat dishes for a nutritional boost.
:dust: The possibilities are endless :dust:

:)

Reactions: Libby

·
Registered
129 Posts
may be late for you but one of the things I do (all great suggestions above too - thanks!) is cut them in wedges sprinkle with worcestershire sauce, salt, pepper, garlic salt, and (a little!) romano or parmesan cheese and bake in 350 degree oven till cheese is lightly browned.

Reactions: Libby and Paws

·
Registered
8,935 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for all the suggestions/ideas! :) Love the oven roasted tomato sauce one or the baked balsamic parm wedge idea as well.

I seemed to have ventured on my own...I rough chopped them, tossed them into a pot with 1/4c water and sprinkle of salt & pepper, Italian seasoning blend, pinch of sugar and tiny splash of balsamic vinegar, 1/2 can tomato paste and finished it with a bit of EVOO. Simmered the heck outta it and took the tater masher to it as well to help it break down even further.

I poached fish fillets in it for dinner :)

Never really made my own HM tomato sauce before, turned out alright...maybe next time I'll lose the vinegar - kinda reminded me of herbed ketchup! :lol:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.