Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,898 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright, I need some new ideas around here. I have an overabundance of bread crumbs right now and need to do something with them. I have some crushed into powder, some still in big chunks, and some still soft enough to cut into cubes.

I normally use it for the following:
  • adding to meatloaf, hamburgers, meatballs, etc. - This is my main use, but ground beef hasn't been on sale for months.
  • chicken/turkey stuffing - I missed the turkey sales because I was away at Easter, so we probably won't be having another one until fall
  • on top of casseroles
  • salad croutons - but I only like salad in the summer

I accumulate bread crumbs at an alarming rate because the kids won't eat crusts, so I need to come up with some new creative things to do with them. If anyone has any different uses, please share.
TIA

·
Registered
301 Posts
Mix them with a little bit of parmesan cheese and some other spices... like rosemary. With that I usually wet some chicken legs, roll them in it, and bake them. My family loves it.

·
Premium Member
3,714 Posts
I use them to coat a "chicken scallopini". Pounded chicken breasts, or pork slices, or inexpensive beef cuts, first dipped in an egg wash, then coated with my bread crumb/parm cheese/spice mixture,and then cooked over the stove in a bit of olive oil - yum-o!

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
You can make meatloaf using ground turkey. I get it at aldi for .79 pound. Way cheaper the beef and a lot better for you.

·
Registered
2,451 Posts
I use bread crumbs to coat pork chops.

·
Registered
182 Posts
you can also pour a little bit of juice , add some fruit , let sit for a bit (till hard crumbs are soft) dab with whipcream and serve ...

a sweet treat

·
Registered
2,058 Posts
[*]salad croutons - but I only like salad in the summer
[[/QUOTE]

You could use croutons on top of soup. Especially potato or tomato soup.

·
Registered
2,430 Posts
Use the crumbs for breaded pork chops and chicken
Also for casserole toppings with alittle bit of butter
Mix them into any ground type of meat to stretch it.

Bread cubes make great stuffing in a casserole pan. My family will eat stuffing with just about any main dish. Always a good side.
You might also want to use them in an egg and cheese strata

·
4,028 Posts
Bread crumbs were used as a thickening agent in medieval recipies so you could add them to any sauce or soup. You could also toast them in a little butter and add cinnamon and sugar for topping of icecream or adding to yogurts.

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
I have had it where they are seasoned and mixed with spagetti. Go on the internet and key in breadcrumbs and spagetti. I can't remember where I had it.
Goodluck

·
Premium Member
3,898 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for all the great ideas - lots of things I'd never thought of, and things I'd never even heard of. I was going to try the cookies today, but ended up falling asleep with the kids when I put them down for their naps (oops) so maybe tomorrow.

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
Ok, I'm late in the game - but I use chunky ones to mix with diced canned tomatoes. Add a little salt, pepper, and sugar to your taste, and it makes a kind of different easy side dish. My mom heats it, my dad didn't. I don't add either salt or sugar if it is just for me.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts