Frugal Village Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was given several cans of evaporated milk. I do not want them to go to waste but other than pumpkim custard pie, I have never used this. Anyone have any good recipes or ideas? Can I use it in place of normal 2% milk in puddings etc?
Thanks!

·
Registered
11,016 Posts

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
It's fantastic in mashed potatoes, cream or milk based sauces and gravies, tomato bisque soup, potato soup, clam chowder, or anything au gratin...

I've used it many times to give more body, richness, and flavor to lower fat or fat free milk and as a coffee creamer instead of half and half.
As far as I know, it can be used in most recipes that call for cream or milk.

Reactions: Libby

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
I also use it in Ice cream and if you get it really cold you can whip it like whipped cream.
Wow, didn't know this...thanks for the tip.

Reactions: momof2boys2005

·
Registered
256 Posts
I haven't read all the responses yet so I'm probably repeating but I like it in my coffee as do the kiddies in their hot chocolate...:fyi:for a reat TREAT I'll use sweetened condensed milk!

·
Registered
8,935 Posts
It's fantastic in mashed potatoes, cream or milk based sauces and gravies, tomato bisque soup, potato soup, clam chowder, or anything au gratin...

I've used it many times to give more body, richness, and flavor to lower fat or fat free milk and as a coffee creamer instead of half and half.
As far as I know, it can be used in most recipes that call for cream or milk.
I use it all the time as milk..I do it as 1/2 and 1/2 with water..but straight in soup, potatoes like a cream..Richer and less fat..Love it in gravys.
Bingo! :) Same full fat creamy texture, less fat - they even sell skim evaporated milk now and it does the exact same job. Thats what I buy when its on sale.

I haven't read all the responses yet so I'm probably repeating but I like it in my coffee as do the kiddies in their hot chocolate...:fyi:for a reat TREAT I'll use sweetened condensed milk!
My dad did this while I was growing up, he used the 2% but then switched it up with Eaglebrand's Sweetened Condensed milk so he didn't have to add sugar to his coffee either. One stop shopping. Now...its Coffeemate :lol:

Found this recipe which shows you how to use it like whip cream :) If one of you tries this recipe, please let me know how it turns out.
Pineapple Banana Cheese Dessert Recipe

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.