Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,898 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am scheduled for some expensive medical treatment. Even with the insurance, the amount we are paying is still a lot. But we have enough money in the bank to cover it.

My husband said to use the credit card to get the cash back/reward points. The credit card that we finally got paid off after years of putting extra money towards it. But my husband said we could charge everything and pay it off right away. Our autopay for the card is currently set on pay entire balance.

I do not think we get actual cash, but we can get gift certificates from places we shop at regularly.

I know some people get rid of credit cards completely after paying they off. Does anyone keep them and try to game the system by getting reward points without paying interest?

·
Registered
570 Posts
We have a card we put most things on, and pay off each month. We can get cash back or use the cash back to put towards the amount on the card, or get gift cards with it. We have only done the amount added back to the card, or gotten gift cards with it. It does work for us, but if you cannot pay it back in full each month, the amount you would get as cash back is actually negated. ( less than what you would pay in interest if you did not pay it off in full) We have disciplined ourselves to pay it off each month as the interest rate is quite high and I do not want to pay any interest if we can help it. We have been CC debt free for several years now so it works for us at this time.

·
Super Moderator
19,740 Posts
It sounds like your medical expenses are a planned expenditure, which you have the savings to cover. IMO, go for the cash back. You will not be carrying a balance because you have savings to pay it off immediately. That's not irresponsible. It's not as though you're charging luxuries with no plan or money to cover the costs. Either way, you have to spend this money. How it leaves your savings and gets to where it's owed doesn't matter, so if you can get some money back in the process, that can only be a win.

The only thing is to make sure there are no fees involved. If you plan to pay the medical provider directly with a CC, be sure they don't tack on a fee to cover the CC fees they have to pay. If there are fees, you might not come out ahead.

Good luck with your procedure. 🙂

·
Super Moderator
19,740 Posts
Also, if you have a high annual deductible and can delay your procedure till after 1/1, it may be to your advantage, insurance-wise.

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
I put everything on my card, and pay it off monthly, for the rewards. I typically just apply the rewards back to the balance every once in a while.

For medical procedures, there's generally several steps I go through. First, is applying as much as possible to insurance. The remaining amount that I owe, I call the hospital for a discount. After that, I pay with the credit card to get the rewards. Then I use the tax-advantaged HSA for the final reimbursement.

·
Registered
2,474 Posts
As long as you're you pay it off right away, go for it. I tried that, but then things happened and ran the card up again. Once we pay a card off, it's gone. No more. We're starting to get a savings going so we don't have to use a card for anything.

·
Registered
1,898 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Our insurance is pretty good, but this is for dental work. For some reason dental coverage is never as good as insurance for non-dental problems - and this is with paying extra for a supplemental dental insurance. It would not matter if I did it this year or next year or split it up. The insurance covers half of it. The lady at the front desk says it is one of the better insurances for dental coverage. Well to be fair, it covers most of it for some things like cleaning, cavities and pulling a tooth.

But my teeth are literally falling apart. The dental technician said she has seen this before with people who have deep fillings with the old metal filling. The metal expands and contracts with heat and cold. Teeth don't. So over a long period of time it can cause the teeth to crack and break. Repairing that is expensive.

The dentist did mention that dentures would be cheaper...

I think I have just learned a limit to my frugality. I am willing to pay the extra to not go the denture route.

·
Super Moderator
19,740 Posts
Watching Husby struggle with dentures, I'm right there with you, Kathy. I'm paying out of pocket for extra cleanings insurance won't cover. I hope that will help me keep my teeth. I don't want dentures either.

·
Registered
553 Posts
If its a large dental bill, you might inquire whether or not they will reduce the amount owed if you pay cash immediately.

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
I'm kinda in the same boat. My fillings have gutted my teeth and there's more filling than tooth. Osteoporosis isn't helping and any filling replacement can break the tooth. Of course, they want to crown for $1100 but I'll end up with dentures. Way cheaper than implants as I don't heal well.

·
Moderator aka AmyBob
12,040 Posts
If you can pay it off immediately, then I say charge it. If you are getting cash back or rewards, you are getting more for your money than just fixed teeth. We charge everything to our CC, pay it off each month, and get cash back. As long as you are sure you can be responsible with the CC, then I see no problem with keeping it for emergencies such as this.

·
Super Moderator
2,009 Posts
I do this, I put as much as possible on CC for reward points. Only exception is gas, there is a local chain that gives you a 10 cent per gallon discount for linking your bank account. I figured it out and it's better to get the 10 cents off.

Of course I pay off the CC in full every month.

·
Moderator aka AmyBob
12,040 Posts
there is a local chain that gives you a 10 cent per gallon discount for linking your bank account..
10 cents a gallon is nothing to sneeze at! That's a great deal!

·
Registered
2 Posts
I am scheduled for some expensive medical treatment. Even with the insurance, you can see this, the amount we are paying is still a lot. But we have enough money in the bank to cover it.

My husband said to use the credit card to get the cash back/reward points. The credit card that we finally got paid off after years of putting extra money towards it. But my husband said we could charge everything and pay it off right away. Our autopay for the card is currently set on pay entire balance.

I do not think we get actual cash, but we can get gift certificates from places we shop at regularly.

I know some people get rid of credit cards completely after paying they off. Does anyone keep them and try to game the system by getting reward points without paying interest?
here I have a really bad experience with few banks and their fees are really high..It's not worth keeping a credit card in the longer run, too much hassle and fees which you have to pay

·
Registered
360 Posts
Sometimes I do that, but I go online and IMMEDIATELY pay it off, I don't do auto pay. I also have a card where I can use the reward points as a "cash back" which either pays right back to the credit card balance (I let them accumulate to about 25$ then apply it to the balance, then pay the rest of the balance off the usual way). I think you could also put it into the bank account if you don't use the credit card enough to use the points or would be tempted to use it as fun-money. I don't do the gift cards. They often have hidden fees deducted monthly or expire. Also not worth my time to track where I have a card and what's on sale. If they had a gift card to goodwill or the local thrift store, that would be different!

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have done this for several years with an Amazon Chase Visa card. I treat it as another bill. So when I pay bills each month, I pay the credit card. I have never gone past the due date so I don't get extra charges. The cashback is easy to use for Amazon purchases at checkout, so it isn't something that goes to waste or that I am overusing just to get cash back. I use it for groceries, misc daily expenses, and car gas plus a couple of utility bills, so I am always accumulating something.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts