Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What would be a good way to estimate utilities for a 2 bedroom apartment? I want to estimate the amount I'm going to need to have in savings in order to move into an apartment, but I'm not sure how much they are...I live in a 3 bedroom house, so looking at current bills are no help.

tia everyone:)

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Also...does bad credit hurt your ability to get utilities turned on? Such as internet service, telephone, electric, heat, etc. thanks everyone

·
Registered
9,412 Posts
Well that's really hard to tell exactly, I know that for me I would try to find an apartment that had heat and hot water includes as that would be the most expensive, I would assume though as for electric that for 2 people it shouldnt be more than $50 a month, I currently only use $50 a month for a 3bedroom house with finished basement and there are 5 of us (currently 4 at the moment).

Let us know what you find out but finding an apartment with all utilities includes would be great!

·
Registered
9,412 Posts
Oh and as for credit, I am pretty sure they do a credit check and if it's not in your favor they will ask for a deposit.

·
Registered
1,475 Posts
I remember when I rented an apartment my heat and hotwater were supposedly included but my electric was way more than I pay now for a house.

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
Most companies will ask for a deposit if you have bad credit. The amounts very from one company to the next. The electric company we had in Florida had a deposit of $75. Here in NC the deposit is based on the average yearly bill has been like of the previous persons usuage, our deposit for where we are was $600, we are in a 5 bedroom house and I haven't had a bill over $250. I have never had a phone company or cable company ask me for a deposit. With the electric companies if you know someone who would cosign for you that has had service for atleast a year and never been late with the bill.

G

·
Depends on your area and what you're getting. Around here (central MA, not too far away) in a one bedroom, 900 square foot apartment we pay:

1. Our electric is about $175 per month. If DH didn't have so many darn computers, would probably be $125. This includes our heat and hot water.
2. We don't have to pay water or sewer, but you might want to ask any landlords if this is included or not and if so, what it is. My guess is $20-$30 if you have to pay separate.
3. Ask about trash pick-up/removal - sometimes that's included, sometimes it's not. Rates and plans vary a lot, from a weekly fee to a yearly fee, to a per bag fee.
4. Telephone/Internet/Cable - if you want all three, your best bet is to call a cable company and get the bundle with all three, should run you about $125-$150 per month. However, you have tons of options - a landline by itself with no bells and whistles should run about $30, High Speed Internet by itself should run about $50-$60 (dial-up should be around $10-$15), and cable or satellite should run about $50. You need to figure out what is offered in your area - you may be able to get a great deal with VOIP, or just use your cellphone instead of getting a landline, and make sure and compare the cost difference between DSL and a Cable Modem - there can be as much as a $30-$30 per month difference in the two.

Unless you know that you use a lot of electricity, water, or phone/cable services, I'd go with $300 as a good estimate. Maybe $400 if you wanted to be on the safe side. This is assuming that none of them are included is your rent.

·
Registered
1,868 Posts
Yeah, I really don't think you can estimate. Where I live now we have to pay electric, water and sewer. But we get free internet and cable.

Where I'm moving to in Fall it's ALL included in the rent. You will just have to comparison shop apartments. Often they can tell you the average tenants' usages.

Also, around here EVERY apartment has a deposit (usually equal to one month's rent) regardless of credit.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts