Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4,525 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I went to my utility company to see if I could get a copy of the bill sooner. They said no. But the person waiting on me commented on how low my bill was. I immediately said yea, I sweat in the summer and freeze in the winter. The guy says, oh, that is how you do it.

When he made the comment I got panicky since one time the utility company said my bill was to low and that I must have been using more electric than I was being billed for so they replaced my meter and made me pay more money because I must have been using electricity but the meter must have been broken.

So I will be watching my bill real close since if they try to do this again they are going to have a raging customer of their hands!! Fortunately I have my utility bills for the past 2 years.

Then it made me think how much are they paying for utilities?

·
Registered
8,935 Posts
Um...I would have pointed out that its not your fault that their meter is defective/broken IF it is. The onus is on them to check it and maintain their property no? Did they train you on how to check the meter? Prob not. I'd be pushing this one back on them big time...I'd even propose to just pay the bill with the proper readings - going forward - now that the meters been "fixed" - IF it was broken to start with. Good on you for having your last 2 yrs worth of bills and CYA.

·
Registered
4,525 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The "broken" meter was at my last apartment which is in the same complex. I did not have a previous years copy of the utility bill to prove my case. But at this apartment I do. And the new meter they put in worked just the same way the "broken" one did.

·
Registered
768 Posts
We just received a letter and statement saying that the utility co. hadn't been able to read the meter for a while, and now they are updating our account with the latest meter reading. We received a credit of $112!

·
Registered
9,916 Posts
I don't see how they can make you pay more than the meter read.

Reactions: Libby

·
Registered
3,255 Posts
I would be willing to pay for the electricity I used, even if a reading miscalculated either way.I still know it is fair to pay for what I used and a matter of my own personal integrity. But I do not want to pay for electricity I did not use.

Reactions: NikoSan999

·
Registered
8,935 Posts
I would be willing to pay for the electricity I used, even if a reading miscalculated either way.I still know it is fair to pay for what I used and a matter of my own personal integrity. But I do not want to pay for electricity I did not use.
I agree with this as well but how do you know the amount which you used vs what could be seen as 'overcharged'?

·
Registered
3,255 Posts
I agree with this as well but how do you know the amount which you used vs what could be seen as 'overcharged'?
That is my point also.)Keeping the records is proper, because the only solid thing you have to go on is your usage history. I need to make a note to myself, I get on a shredding rampage and may regret it.....and my records may not jive with theirs.

·
Registered
12,986 Posts
YOU GO GIRL!!! :tay:

I hate dealing with the utility companies and have had many a 'dealings' (read fights) with mine..........all except the water co.

I FINALLY got an apology from the phone co. this year about one of them.........and the guy gave me his direct line in case I had any more trouble. I was shocked!

·
Registered
4,525 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The utility company decided to overchage me for the month that my meter must have been "broken". Which I argued with them. However they were determined to make it seem that I some how tampered with the meter. So they decided to figure out how much for that month I should have been paying based on the weather and what most people use. All I thought was they were trying to squeeze more money out of me. But since I did not have last years bill to prove I do not use alot of electric I could not go to their office and argue my case.

I did just receive a new payment plan amount. It went up to $95. Twenty dollars more a month. Yes I did use more electric in the summer since it was hotter. But that is the amount they think I will be spending this coming year. I live in a one bedroom apartment that is surrounded by other apartments. I will be looking at different suppliers for electric and gas.

Trust me I keep this place cold in the winter and warm in the summer. The other night I was thinking it was really cold in here. When I woke up I kept on thinking it was really cold. So I looked at the thermostat and realized that the heat was off. So it was around 57 degrees at 11:00 am. Turned on the heat then.

Fortunately my cat is a great heating pad. But I think they look at me as a heating pad. lol

·
Super Moderator
4,575 Posts
I would keep all future bills, then go in and demand a refund when you show how little you use.

Since your meter is supposedly defective, are they replacing it?

·
Registered
4,525 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The "broken" meter was at my old apartment and the incident happened a couple years ago.

·
Registered
2,038 Posts
Making you pay extra because the meter 'must' have been broken sounds illegal to me- though I'm no lawyer. Without being able to prove it was misreading your use, how can they legally collect MORE from you than the meter reads? How can they know how much more to collect? I know, it's already done and past, but it sounds like it was shady to me!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts