Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4,379 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last Friday SO and I went to this little country auction and had lots of fun. We bought a lot of older tools and some huge old wagon wheels, mainly to display at home. I bought a box that had old black and white photographs, post cards (mainly of sites in Pennsylvania), 8 1/2 x 11 sheets of paper with cartoons on them (in color) and several Valentines. All of this stuff was from the 30's and 40's. I was in heaven!!!! Now I am wondering the value of this stuff. Does anyone here collect or sell these things? Can anyone direct me to a website or a book that may help me figure out the value? I am not sure that I will sell them, but then on the other hand, in a financial bind they might come in handy for extra money. I have looked under several engines but haven't found anything helpful yet. Thanks,

pat

·
Founder
19,054 Posts
I collect Valentines, but not for "worth". Just because I love them. I wish I could help, but just wanted to say...if you find the valentines aren't worth much...let me know if you would sell them and what you'd like to sell them for. Also, I prefer signed Valentines, but am not sure how real "collectors" feel about that.

·
Registered
2,594 Posts
I LOVE old cards and photos :heartsm:

I found a wallet at an auction once with really old family photograph in it and some war love letters ~ I nearly cried to think somebody once treasured this and somebody else had thrown it away!

Anyway are any of the cards embroidered? We have some birthday/best wishes type cards like that, I'm not sure of their exact worth but they are worth something.

I wondered if you'd searched on eBay? Obviously it will all depend from one collector to another what they are looking for at the time but if they have things similar you could keep them on watch and see what they go for?

I'll have a look on eBay UK now ;)

Oh BTW ~ I'm jealous LOL ~ I think that's a lovely thing to have.

·
Registered
4,379 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for responding,
The valentines are signed and are not embroidered. I have checked on ebay and didn't really see anything comparable. Its just so hard to tell. I have searched all the collectibles books I have and have yet to find these particular ones, maybe they were common and aren't worth much. I am thinking of framing them and putting them in the guest rooms upstairs for now.

The old photographs almost made me cry too. I can't believe someone just got rid of a whole box of family pictures. Unreal. We are going back on Friday and I am going to snoop thru the old boxes some more - wish you guys could come with me.

Sara, if I decide to sell them later, I will let you know before I do anything else.

pat

·
Registered
5,500 Posts
That sounds like such a find! I love to look at old photos and think about/ wonder what the people were like, etc

·
Registered
2,594 Posts
I couldn't find much on eBay either :confused: which really surprised me to be honest!

How I would really, REALLY, LOVE to come with you! I still think it's really sad though.

When my ex DH's grandfather died he had lots of diaries he had kept from the war and ex DH's MAD mother threw them in the bin!!!! :eek: She said afterwards 'I can't imagine why he kept all that rubbish! I could have throttled her! I would have had them!!! I'm sure a museum would have had them too! All that history and personal stuff to people being reduced to rubbish!

I have to go LOL - I've started :soapbox:

·
Registered
12,790 Posts
Pat, what an incredible find. Enjoy your treasures :D .

·
Registered
8,337 Posts
I have some too, I love to look at them...... I bought a stack of turn of the century calling cards last week..... They have names written in caligraphy..... and pretty handpainted flowers on them. They look like little watercolor art.... I don't know the worth of them either, I would depend on the collector..

·
Registered
1,771 Posts
I can't help with finding somewhere to "appraise" them, but I would love to get my hands of some. They would make a lovely display...framed with ribbon...lace...etc!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts