Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,714 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, it's been nearly a year since I went veg for "green reasons".

I love it!!

However, I have had a few bumps along the way, and I think I have finally found a spot where I am satisfied.

I have shared a few bits of hubbys fish this past year. I even made fish for the family a few times and had a VERY small portion for myself.
Then there was the time this last summer a friend (unknowingly) ordered a burger for me, which I ate to not cause a rift..... um,yea, won;t do that again, I felt gross for a few days!!

I cooked a turkey for my family for Tgiving, but ate none of it. I did, however, enjoy the soup from the carcass.

After a year, here's where I have landed:

If you are a vegetarian, you would say that I am not one.
If you are a meat eater, you would say that I am one!!

lol

I don't eat meat on my plate. Period. End of story. Not red meat, not chicken... and very very rarely, small amounts of fish.

I WILL however eat the soup derived from the carcass of an animal that was cooked and eaten. Like ham bone, or turkey/chicken carcass. I only do this maybe every 3 months or so, but because I choose to eat the way that I eat for environmental reasons, I cannot waste the carcasses or bones. So to me, if the animal was to be eaten, I will at least cook every single bit of it, and eat what many consider to be the "garbage".

what do you think?

ps - I have sooooooo drastically reduced the meat consumption in my family. I think of meat for my family as a condiment, NEVER the main dish!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
147 Posts
Congrats! This is similar to what I do. I refer to myself as a pescatarian (I do eat seafood) just to simplify it, but it's more just conscientious eating.
Everyone should consider the impact their eating habits have both on their health and the environment.
Basically, if I don't know where it came from, I won't eat it. Locally grown chicken, beef, wild game and fresh seafood (I do live in Louisiana!) I will eat.
Here's an interesting article that came out today about the impact of more people eating more meat will have on our planet within a few years.
Planet could be 'unrecognizable' by 2050, experts say - Yahoo! News
It's everyones responsibility to eat responsibly!
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,714 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
great article.... thanks
 

·
Moderator
Joined
·
4,028 Posts
Thank you for sharing your update. I find myself at the beginning of this journey. I don't consider stocks from the carcass to be "garbage" though.... I think of it as the most precious part of the animal that is hidden away and we go through a lot of work to get to it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,355 Posts
I think you have a healthy way of thinking.
It's been a year for me as well and I have been all over the map.
I'm stricter in my home then I am out of it simply because it's too hard for my family not to be. I have settled into a 90/10 rule. 90% of the time I eat a pure vegan diet, the other 10% may include fish , eggs or honey.

If your vegan you would say I am not.
If your a carnivore you would say I am. LOL ;)

Some day I hope to perfect this thing but for now I'm at a good place that both myself and my family can be happy with.
I'm glad to hear it's working for you, WAY TO GO
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
10,457 Posts
IntlMom said:
If you are a vegetarian, you would say that I am not one.
If you are a meat eater, you would say that I am one!!
*snort*

Yes, Pescatarian and Flexatarian. :p

But good job! :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,355 Posts
Honestly I find all these labels annoying anyway. I don't really use the word vegan anymore , I just say that I eat plant based. Key word being based not exclusive.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,293 Posts
Good for you and thanks for the update!

I am a vegetarian and I don't like the label. It comes with certain connotations in some circles, none of which are true 100% of the time.

The older I get, the more I resist labels. Just do what feels right and don't worry about who thinks what because you're the only you're accountable to. I abhor the terms pescatarian and flexatarian, are labels really that important?

Good for you for making enlightened choices!
 
  • Like
Reactions: britbunny

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,525 Posts
Growing up meals were basically planned around the type of meat being served. Years later I went vegetarian and was really amazed how I had to change my way of thinking when it came to meals. Lately I have been about eating less meat and more vegetarian meals. Do have to say that when eating more vegetarian meals I just feel lighter.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
906 Posts
I think you have a healthy way of thinking.
It's been a year for me as well and I have been all over the map.
I'm stricter in my home then I am out of it simply because it's too hard for my family not to be. I have settled into a 90/10 rule. 90% of the time I eat a pure vegan diet, the other 10% may include fish , eggs or honey.
That sounds like where we are.

Most of the time it is fresh organic fruit and veggies. Sometimes we have fresh eggs and honey. When we eat out, I get what sounds good. What is funny is that I do enjoy eating meat, I just gag when I see it raw.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
20 Posts
I used to call myself a borderline vegetarian. I would eat soup with meat stock, stuffing, and .... the very hardest for me to give up....marshmallows. I've become stricter over the years and now can consider myself a complete vegetarian. I think we all do what we are comfortable with and that's all good!
 
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Top