Frugal Village Forums banner

Vegetarian dilemma......

3K views 24 replies 23 participants last post by  kyletaylor2024 
#1 ·
Ok, so I think I can safely say that I am now a vegetarian. 2 months, no meat, and loving it..... (even trying to eek my way to a vegan diet, but somehow that's tons harder!)

So anyway, here is my dilemma. My freezer, though not full of meat, has quite a bit in it. Now, mostly, I just cook it up for my family (tho I have minimized their consumption as well) and then I make sure that my side dishes are chock full of veggies/beans/rice, and are filling on their own.

Here's my question: I an "environmental veg*n" and I don't want to see this meat be wasted by going bad in the freezer. This meat was already produced, and now it sits waiting to be eaten - do I eat it till it's gone, or just let it go bad? The second option just seems so wasteful.... but quite frankly, the thought of meat is just, well, *sick* now. I think I've decided to not eat the red meat, or the pork, but maybe the turkey breast till it's gone... and the turkey stock I made from using the chrstmas turkey (so as to not be wasteful) - here's my big question - I found the ham bone from Easter. I could just throw it away since I don;t want to eat meat (but again, the waste thing! - or I could make a lovely split pea soup chockful of veggies and use up the turkey stock to boot.....

I guess my question for myself is, I am doing this to "prove a point" (NO) - or to be a better stewards of God's creation (YES)? If that's the case, then I quess I will be enjoying a nice split pea soup on our next cool day...

what are your thoughts on this?........

thanks for letting me think out loud!

See less See more
#2 ·
This is only my opinion, but I believe that waste is a sin.

If there were someone you could give the meat to, that would be a good choice, but few charities (food banks, for instance) will accept meat. A neighbour or friend, perhaps?

If you can't give it away, letting it go bad doesn't help anyone. The animal it came from is already dead, and letting its meat go bad will not bring it back to life. From the waste point of view, consuming it would be better.

On the other hand, I can understand a certain revulsion to consuming it now that you are a "convert". Enjoy what you can of it and toss the rest.

#3 ·
I'd use it til it was gone. Sparingly, of course, but that amount of waste just seems against your thinking.

Reactions: IntlMom
#5 ·
I'm impressed by your transition!

Here's a thought, find a neighbor or even a supplier at the farmers market that will trade you veggies for meat.

We had tons of tomatoes last year (when everyone else in our area had tomato blight), we traded tomatoes for organic free range chicken and loved it.

This year we are growing extra kale and swiss chard for trading.

#6 ·
Maybe a friend or family member can trade with you.
Heck post an add on craigslist that you want to trade some meat. It might seam weird but then again who's not a little weird sometimes.

Of course you can still cook it for the rest of your family, I'm sure it's still got a while until it's bad.

#7 ·
Great going IntlM!! Share what you can with friends and family - cook what you can for your family. No need for you to eat anything you don't want to - please do not force yourself to....and enjoy your split pea soup!!

Reactions: IntlMom
#8 ·
Here's what I'm doing. I haven't purchased any meat since March. But, I have quite a bit stockpiled. Since I don't have anyone close by that could take the meat, I'm gradually using it up. As Keith said, the animal already died, and it seems almost more wasteful to me not to use it. I tried cooking some of the ground turkey for my cats, but they wouldn't eat it. How gross must it be if cats won't eat it? Other than the ground turkey, which I might throw out, I have a little meat once every two weeks. Like you, it doesn't taste that good to me anymore. Also, when I have company, I cook a meat dish for them.
Using the meat gradually this way, I hope to be 100% vegetarian in about six months.

#9 ·
I would try to cook as much for your family and give away the rest if you think it will go bad that soon. Agree with not wasting it.

Congrats on the two months. :cheer4:

#10 · (Edited)
Thanks for the food bank suggestion.... I took a big beef roast and a few packages of ground turkey up there today when i was working at the food bank (sshhh, don't tell dh I gave away meat :) ) it'll be our little secrect!
:)

I plan on enjoying that nice pot of split pea soup with a ham bone when we have a cool spell..... and not feeling guilty.
Being a veg*n is not about being so legalistic you cannot enjoy life..... and for me, not wanting to waste is so very important - and let's get really real, split pea soup made with a ham bone is "GOOD EATS"
:)

#13 ·
personally: i'd give it to a knowing neighbor or friend

#17 ·
Only one comment - check out local churches and meals on wheels - these folks will use the meat to provide meals to less forturnate. this way you will get it out of your freezer without eating it and it doesn't go to waste.

HTH

#18 ·
so it's been awhile since I posted this, my meat is nearly gone. I have cooked and served it to my family over the months..... but meat has become a "condiment" in this house rather than a main dish.

I still don't touch it, however.

#24 ·
If your family eats it, I can't figure out why you'd even consider throwing it away. Shelters, churches, rescue centers and food pantries may also take it.

I don't think it's necessary or ok to throw it away. If you're turning veg to prove something to yourself, that's one thing, but if your family still eats it and isn't changing as you are, there's no need to throw it out.

#25 ·
I don't think you should let the meat go to waste. Feed it to the family or give it to a food bank, but you might regret eating it yourself. Even if you don't feel bad about it, some veggies get sick from eating meat after going without for long periods of time.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.