Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
12,986 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had posted this in another thread but thought I would put it more 'out in the open' in case someone needed the info.

Here is a 'veggie wash' that Dr. Oz had on his show.......... I put it in a spray bottle.

1 cup water
1 cup distilled white vinegar
1 tablespoon baking soda
1/2 lemon - juiced.

Put it all in a bottle and use to wash veggies.

·
Registered
26,302 Posts
Thanks FF! Do you put the leftover wash in the fridge or throw it out? :)

·
Registered
9,297 Posts
FYI, 'vegetable wash' is pretty worthless.

CAES: Removal of Trace Pesticide Residues from Produce

"The mechanical action of rubbing the produce under tap water is likely responsible for removing pesticide residues. Mild detergents or fruit and vegetable washes do not enhance the removal of pesticide residues from produce above that of rinsing with tap water alone. "

·
Registered
12,986 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
FYI, 'vegetable wash' is pretty worthless.
Then don't use it.

For every article that says it doesn't 'help' I can find one that says it does. I will take my chances WITH it.....and I also use soap and water. Since I don't always buy 'organic' I will try to get off whatever I can and this is just another way to do that.

Insight from Consumer Reports

My husband and I subscribe to Consumer Reports In a past issue (several years ago), they did a study on the best ways to remove pesticides from fresh produce. A weak solution of Palmolive dish liquid (just the old green kind) was what they suggested. Rinse well after washing. We used it until we began purchasing organically grown produce. I believe they said it removed upwards of 95% of pesticide residues. Check out back issues to be sure. Every issue has an alphabetical index in the back listing all past articles and which issues to find them in. We used to get them all from the library when we needed them.
El

Thanks FF! Do you put the leftover wash in the fridge or throw it out? :)
I save it as it doesn't make all that much at one time. I don't always refrig. either ...........the lemon juice is the only thing that can 'sour'.

·
Registered
256 Posts
A tip given to me some time ago was to use a mild liquid dishsoap!
Before the produce hits the fridge or counter I soak everything in the sink with my dishsoap solution. It has work very well for me and is very cost friendly (I've had the same bottle forever).

My brand of choice has been the Seventh Generation Free & Clear liqiud dishsoap... non-toxic, hypoallergenic, biodegradable, phosphate free, not tested on animals, safe for septic systems, Kosher-certified and finally the bottle contains 90% post-consumer recycled plastic BUT any mild unscented soap would do the trick I'm sure LOL!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts