Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Master Dollar Stretcher aka AmyBob
5,738 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, it's now the hottest (is that a word?) it's been all year here in Ohio, and this is the time our central air chooses to go out. :angry: I went back to work for the first time yesterday, so I was already really tired. Then the baby was up half the night, fussy, probably because it's so stuffy in here (there weren't any screen windows when we bought this place!). The guy who's fixing the air conditioner came last night and took part of the motor away to be rebuilt, and we don't know when it will be done.

Then, after sweating all night, I come in this morning and find that my whole :censor: computer had crashed. The modem wouldn't connect at first, and then, the whole thing went down. It took me a good twenty five minutes of crawling under the desk and cursing to get things working again.

DH is actually off today, and he doesn't want to do something fun, he wants to get some chores done- like moving furniture out of the baby's room! :bang: I've only wanted to do that for a month now... of course today he's in the mood to actually do it. Grrrrr.

The air conditioning in one car is also out... but it's going to have to wait until we see how much the central air costs.

I am tired and very grumpy.... and just wanted to vent. I'm going to go take a cold :shower: & maybe then I won't want to :fpunch: the wall anymore. ;) Thanks for listening!!

·
Registered
33,846 Posts
Hope you get the unit fixed in a hurry!! Meantime could you use some fans to at least help keep you guys cool at night?

·
Registered
15,917 Posts
Sorry your having such a rotten day Amy. :hugz:

Hopefully it will cool off tonight so you and your family can get some rest.

·
Registered
4,379 Posts
Amy,
I cringed when I read your post. It seems like it went from pleasaant to absolutely burning hot here as well. Today is in the 90s. I am so sorry about your air conditioning. That is the pits. I would suggest a nice cool shower for everybody, dinner that does not have to be cooked, spray yourselves with bug spray and sit outside for a while once the sun goes down. As for little Maria, make sure this heat doesn't give her a rash. When dd was born it was July and miserably hot. Everynight I bathed her in a luke warm bath with baking soda in the water. It seemed to cool her off and helped with the heat rash. Good luck and try to think cool/cold/snow thoughts.

pat

·
Registered
12,790 Posts
Oh Amy, I am so sorry, it must be horrible to have your ac go out at a time like this. I am sending cool :bigsnow: thoughts for you. I hope that they get it repaired quickly and that it is not horribly expensive. :hugz:

·
27,948 Posts
Wishing for cooler days ahead Amy.

·
Registered
948 Posts
Amy,

I completely understand. It's been absolutely miserable in MN - hot and humid. My little one was up most of last night too - problem is that no one in the house can get comfortable. And we don't have a/c yet (can't find the $ to finish that part of our furnace install)!

Dress Maria in as little as possible - give her some play time before bath/bed with her diaper off. That'll give her skin a chance to cool down before bed. Try to limit the amount of time you hold her when you give her bedtime bottle. If possible, have a fan on the two of you during the bottle!

I'm sending cool thoughts your direction!:cool:

·
Registered
19,004 Posts
Sending cool thoughts your way Amy! Do you have ceiling fans or any type of fans to keep some of the heat off until the air is fixed?

·
Registered
260 Posts
Our A/C died this week too. We have 2 central air units and only one is 1/2 working.:mad: It is miserable here!!!!!
Can you get a couple of those pull screens that adjust to fit your windows?
It has been in the mid to upper 90's here every day too.We are taking a LOT of cool:curtain:

·
Registered
33,846 Posts
:hugz: Amy I'm sorry you're having a rough day....I hope you AC will be woking soon, or that you may find a way to cool off....do you have a library near? Most times they have AC. You could pass the evening there...it's just an idea...

I hope tomorrow will be cooler for you.:heartsm:

·
Registered
3,281 Posts
Can I vent, too? Our a/c died (yesterday was SO horrible!), the basement flooded again (and I am so sick of pulling up carpet and padding), and the dog has diarrhea. Life is good.:toothy: Hope yours gets better soon!

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
I'm just about ready for January here too...

I'm sorry to hear you had one of those days that just completely sucked- nothing is worse than sweating while trying to sleep. Hope you get a break from this misery really soon.

·
Master Dollar Stretcher aka AmyBob
5,738 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks to all of you for your kind words!! I really needed to vent that day.

The a/c is fixed, and now we're having cool weather, LOL. Isn't that always how it goes? It ended up only costing us about $240, which is much less than it should have-- it's good to have a friend in the a/c business! ;)

And, Lucie, I did take Maria and hang out at the library that day for a while even before I saw your post- that helped!

Thanks all.... it's nice to have understanding people to vent to! And I hope the rest of you (gemmbp, pip) without a/c got yours fixed, as well!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts