Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,446 Posts
Last year, Gray's forecast and government forecasts were higher than what the Atlantic hurricane season produced.
Well, he over estimated last year....maybe (hopefully) this year will be more of the same.

·
Registered
2,117 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thats what I'm hoping..
At least it isn't Blizzard predictions LOL

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
Sometimes I think they like to predict worse case sceniro(sp). I think after the way florida was hit with so many back to back in 2004, and with the aftermath of Katrina, that it would be better to have us scared and taking extra precautions, then to have us thinking nothing is gonna happen and then we aren't prepared. Does that make sense?

·
Registered
942 Posts
It doesn't matter whether we have five or 24 hurricanes a year - it is the intensity combined with timing with other concurrent weather systems that cause the most trouble. I grew up on the coast of NC and still have family there. Every hurricane season stresses me out because they are still waiting for the 'big' one we keep missing. Because hurricanes over water actually cool the water the more 'little' storms you have over open water, the less chance of the big one forming in the same area.

·
Registered
164 Posts
I thought these maps might interest those who want to find out the frequency and distribution of hurricanes in their state:

http://www.csc.noaa.gov/hez_tool/history.html

In Al Gore's An Inconvenient Truth, (derived from National Geographic I think) he showed some slides illustrating the path of hurricanes across the states from the period 1851 to 1954 (or thereabouts), and then some maps showing all hurricanes from around 1954 to 2005. The first series of maps were orderly, parallel lines. The second set of maps looked like a bowl of spaghetti upended on a dinner table - utter chaos. And the frequency and intensity of hurricanes was far far greater. Since US hurricanes are (generally) caused by the differential warming and cooling of surface and subsurface waters in the Gulf of Mexico, the warmer the waters, the more intense the hurricanes....so global warming is not going to make life any quieter in terms of hurricanes anytime soon.

·
Registered
200 Posts
This is a good reminder for all of us Southerners to check our Hurricane Kits. Let's hope none of us really needs it this year though!

·
Registered
10,774 Posts
I never worry about them until it actually happens. I have a kit and store extra food for the season. We also have a generator, so that keeps the refrigerator runnings.

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
I HATE HURRICANES

I want to move sooooo much! But I swear, if I do, they will follow me. I grew up in SC, with hurricanes all the time, but the year of Charley (very close to me...missed us by 5 miles), I was so stressed out, I had to leave before Ivan went through. Well guess what...I went to SC, and he followed me! Then he turned around and followed me back!!!

It was unreal!

·
Registered
7,731 Posts
Let's hope they stay off the Gulf coast. Quite aside from the human suffering they cause, the oil companies do not need any more excuses to raise gas prices!

We were very, very lucky last summer. I hope the weather gods continue to smile. I don't see how we could possibly be ready for another one in Louisiana. We still haven't picked up the pieces from the last one yet.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts