Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So Virgin Mobile is coming out with a $35/mo iPhone plan, with a $5 discount if you sign up for online bill pay. So $30. This includes 300 any time minutes and unlimited texting/data.

The catch (as there always is one) is that you have to buy the new phone at an unsubsidized price.

I'm planning on signing up for this, and selling my current iPhone to pay for at least half my new one, so I think this is probably the best deal. This is actually cheaper than getting added to my parents' family plan on Sprint!

Anyone else know of any deals for smartphone plans? What do you think of this? Just want to make sure I'm getting the best deal!

·
Registered
8,935 Posts
What the 'smartphones' plans don't advertise is the rates for 'data'. Do not be fooled by the promo, there are always hidden fee's.

Up here in Canada, the major providers have a phone rate plan for traditional style phones, androids, Blackberry & iPhone. (for some reason Blackberry & iPhone are treated differently) THEN they have MANDATORY data plans that you must buy b/c you have an android, Blackberry or iPhone whether or not you plan on using options that may include data usage.

Another thing to consider, coverage. Does Sprint offer better coverage/service area compared to Virgin mobile? I know when Virgin mobile started up here, they had very limited coverage in larger cities and only offered basic telephone only (no data).

I'd look into seeing if you could use your current iPhone with Virgin mobile, unless your phone is locked by Sprint? You should still be considered a new customer.

I own my iPhone outright. I can choose any provider I wish. I can flip monthly if I wish. Phones bought through a provider offered with a discounted rate & bound to a contract are locked only until you've fulfilled your contract obligations. You then own your phone outright. They legally have to unlock your phone. This is how it is in Canada, right now AND you can guarantee the sales people won't be telling you this info.

Hope that helps and always ask questions. Question your questions. Make the sales person work for their sale and do not let them talk you into anything. This is a legal contract you are committing to and they will not care if you go bankrupt trying to afford your new latest and greatest phone. (I've seen so many people get swindled by cell phone sales reps)

·
Master Dollar Stretcher aka AngeleeBob
1,471 Posts
I have Virgin Mobile with an android. The downfall is that you purchase the phone outright but the monthly bill is incredible. I have the 45 dollar a month plan. I get 1200 talking minutes unlimited text and unlimited data. If I go over 2.5 GB on data then it slows down but I only pay 45 a month always due on the 8th. No surprises, surchages, or bogus taxes. i don't know if this is available for the iphone but I can pay an additional $5 a month for insurance. I also travel a lot and rarely find a place I don't have coverage. Some campgrounds I have stayed at do not have great coverage but its the same with everyone in our group no matter who their provider is. There were also some places in the Appalachian Mountains where I didn't have coverage when we drove through there. Obviously I love Virgin Mobile, hope you have the same experience!

·
Registered
233 Posts
My DD heard the iphone thru VM will cost $550. I love VM but won't spend that much $ on a phone.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
What the 'smartphones' plans don't advertise is the rates for 'data'. Do not be fooled by the promo, there are always hidden fee's.
The data is included in the monthly bill and is "unlimited" though they slow your use down after 2.5 GB. Not a problem for me though because I never use that much data.

The only "catch" on this is because it is an out of contract plan, you have to buy an out of contract phone, whose price is set by Apple at like $550.

Another thing to consider, coverage. Does Sprint offer better coverage/service area compared to Virgin mobile?
Virgin uses Sprint towers, so the only coverage that Sprint has that Virgin doesn't is roaming (Virgin doesn't have roaming). I've asked around and one or two friends on Virgin said they haven't really had too many problems with it.

I own my iPhone outright. I can choose any provider I wish. I can flip monthly if I wish. Phones bought through a provider offered with a discounted rate & bound to a contract are locked only until you've fulfilled your contract obligations. You then own your phone outright. They legally have to unlock your phone. This is how it is in Canada, right now AND you can guarantee the sales people won't be telling you this info.
Unfortunately you cannot go to any provider you wish. This is physically impossible, as different carriers use different signal types which are not compatible (though you can certainly go to a different carrier on the same signal type).

This is a legal contract you are committing to
Nope, there is no contract with this plan. :)

I have the 45 dollar a month plan. I get 1200 talking minutes unlimited text and unlimited data. If I go over 2.5 GB on data then it slows down but I only pay 45 a month always due on the 8th. No surprises, surchages, or bogus taxes. i don't know if this is available for the iphone but I can pay an additional $5 a month for insurance.
There's a $5/mo savings if you go paperless, don't forget that! :)

My DD heard the iphone thru VM will cost $550. I love VM but won't spend that much $ on a phone.
This is true. Apple actually sets that price, not Virgin. You might not want to pay it but consider the monthly costs as opposed to other plans when you factor the up front cost into your monthly payments.

My plan is to sell my current iPhone and use that money towards the new one, which is an even better deal.

·
Registered
473 Posts
I love my Tmobile phone but hate my Tmobile bill...and lack of coverage where I live. I wish you could keep the phone and swap phone companies. It's all such a game!

T

·
0 Posts
I'm actually considering this. I am planning on getting myself an iPhone for Christmas. I got an iPad last year, and basically it was the same thing - pay a lot upfront to buy the device, but I have a month to month plan that's a heck of a lot cheaper than getting a contract. My DH's iPhone costs about $100 a month. So if I pay $550 for the phone and get a $45 a month plan, I break even at 10 months.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts